Thread: Sdn Ldr Richard Henry 'Andy' Hardy Medal Collection and Log Books Sold March 2012

Thanks

Default Sdn Ldr Richard Henry 'Andy' Hardy Medal Collection and Log Books Sold March 2012

This is an appeal (in hope) that the "South Wales collector" who bought Squadron Leader Richard Henry Hardy Medal Collection and Log Books from Halls Auction House in Shropshire in March 2012 for £5,800 may find this post sometime! (or someone knows who he is)

http://www.hallsgb.com/news-2012/medals

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/war-hero-s-medals-sell-at-auction-for-5-800-1-4364870

The reason I ask is that I am still trying to identify the 15 Sqn Welington in which he baled out of as a Sgt (#580825) along with P/O Roy Allen Gayford #40295, Sgt William Livingston MacDonald #580877, LAC William George Smith #551322 and AC1 Robert Charles Peel #629076 on December 24th 1939.

As you know I am trying to identify all RAF Caterpillar members from 1926 up to the end of April 1940, and while I know the Wellington was 1 of 17 sent out on this date from Marham for a sweep of the Danish and Norwegian coastal areas. Hardy’s aircraft which was piloted by F/O John Francis Newman #37823 was one of 11 that were sent to Norway. But by the time fog had started to form at Marham. Hardy’s aircraft crash-landed at Martlesham Heath with a hydraulic problem, probably caused by battle damage, and the captain ordered the crew to bale out before he attempted a crash-landing. – This was over East Anglia. And is the incident referred to below

Evening Post, Volume (New Zealand),
    28 December 1939,
    AIR FORCE HAZARDS
    TYPICAL EXAMPLE
    PILOT OFFICER'S RESOURCE
    (British Official Wireless.) (Received December 28, 12.30 p.m.) RUGBY, December 27. The hazards of routine reconnaissance which fall to the lot of the Royal Air Force are illustrated in the story of how an aircraft, damaged recently far from its base by an enemy attack, nevertheless reached home and made a safe landing. Its undercarriage and wing flaps were put out of action by enemy anti-aircraft fire during a reconnaissance flight over the coast of north-west Germany. None of the crew was wounded, and the aircraft was able to return safely over the North Sea. Landing, however, presented a great difficulty owing to the danger it involved, both to the crew, and possibly also to civilian lives and property. The pilot officer solved the problem successfully. He ordered the rest of the crew to descend by parachute, and after assuring himself of their safety succeeded in landing the aircraft without any further damage.

The crew landed all over East Anglia up to 10 miles apart. Gayford broke his ankle, after landing in a high tree and falling heavily to the ground. One other came down in the middle of a field, and the farmer who found his suspected he was a German spy. Two others landed near each other in a wood. They walked together to a cottage and knocked up an old woman who lives there. She was suspicious of these men in flying suits. She shut the door in their faces, and would not open it again.

Anyway, as you can see I know a lot about this incident, my only issue is the identity of the aircraft involved. I know the damage to the Wellington consisted of geodetic damage to the underside, engine mounts bent slightly, bomb doors broken and both airscrews bent and the aircraft Cat 2. But I do not know its serial number it is either Wellington Mk.Ia N2948 or N2848 – I was wondering if the new owner of the log book so he could look up the serial in Squadron Letter in Hardy’s Log Book for the date?

Thanks to Steve Smith on this site I actually believe it to be N2948 which only had a 115 Sqn history, rather than N2848 which only appeared to have an OTU one but I would like confirmation one way or other. N2948 was subsequently written off on 24.2.40

Paul McMillan

Thanks

Paul

perhaps if you post your request on www.britishmedalforum.com you may have some success, certainly worth a try.

HTH

Thanks

HTH

Good call

I have registered and when sanctioned will post and see

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

HTH

Great call just got registered and access to that forum and found the owner of Hardy's medals immediately

Great new resource for me ! Already have confirmation of another early 1940 bale put where my assumption can now be proved!

Kind regards

Paul McMillan

Thanks

aghh!

Finally make contact with logbook owner only to find out Hardy had lost his first log book and then he reconstructed his log book and mentioned the incident but no serial!

Paul