Thread: Sgt William Harry Eden #580404 (RAF) from Canada

Thanks

Default Sgt William Harry Eden #580404 (RAF) from Canada

All

Can anyone who has 'Canadians in the RAF' book by Molson see if William Harry Eden #580404 (maybe down as Harry W Eden) is in it. I believe he was Winnipeg, he would have joined RAF before the war and was shot down an PoW in Blenheim IV R3742 of 21 Squadron, 14-Jun-1940.. He was later a W/O with a MiD and then commissioned in 1947 as P/O #204297 and retired as W/C in 1972. He died July 1982 in England

Reason.. there is a "Sgt W Eden" listed in my bale outs for late 1939 and I wonder if it could be him.

Paul

Thanks

Paul,

Here is the entry for W/C Harry W EDEN:

p.o.w.
    EDEN, Harry W., W/C (580404) M.D. from Winnipeg, joined in Jan. /39 after 3 years in the P.P.C.L.I in Winnipeg and graduated as a Sgt. Observer. He flew with No.21 Sqdn. on Blenheims and was shot down on June 14/40,his 30th op, and was p.o.w. for nearly 5 years. He was commissioned and stayed in the R.A.F. postwar, retiring in 1973, and presently living in Camberley, Surrey, where he works as Data Manager for Avionics System Co., an aircraft firm.

See:
    Canadians in the Royal Air Force.
    Allison,Les.
    Roland:Author,1978.
    p.132.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 23rd August 2013 at 15:29.

Thanks

Col, have you got one of every single book ever written about the air war???????
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello,

No!

Col.

Thanks

Col thanks!

Was William Harry Eden but he was with 101 Sqn at time!!

October 14, 1939 - Port engine of Blenheim Mk IV No L4900 piloted by P/O Thomas Richard Goodbody with 580404 Sgt Eden and 548697 A C Jeffries as crew failed in cloud on descending from a height up to 20,000 feet. Pilot ordered crew to abandon aircraft when at 2,000 feet. Sgt Eden made a successful landing in a field at Soham near Mildenhall with a torn parachute. The canopy was probably torn on the light series bomb carriers beneath the fuselage through pulling the rip cord too soon. The aircraft broke cloud and the pilot ordered A C Jefferies not to jump. The pilot then landed successfully on Mildenhall Aerodrome. Engine failure was probably due to hot air intake shutters being buckled due to backfire.

548697 A C Jeffries * cannot ID him at this time

Paul

Thanks

Hello

Dennis, you asked the question that many forumites, myself first, had in mind !

Really Col, it seems you have every book published on the subjects we are studying. I'm glad you are sharing your time and your library with us.

Back to Eden and his crew, on 14th June 1940, they were hit by fighters and force-landed near Ardres (South of Calais). On 18th June they arrived at Wissant and were given a small rowing boat. For three and a half days they crossed the Channel and arrived within 6 miles of the English coast, but then the sea currents brought them back towards France, near St Valery-en-Caux. Then the pilot lost his reason and fell overboard (hence he's commemorated on Runnymede). Webb and Eden landed on a beach, walked for a few days but were eventually captured on 1st July near Yport.

I'm interested in any snippet of information about him and his crewmates.

No. 101 Squadron was in 1939-40 a kind of Blenheim O.T.U., many crews were posted to 101 for further training and then posted to operational Squadrons. This is what I've seen about the many Blenheim crew who came down in my research area.

Regards

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 24th August 2013 at 12:00. Reason: typo

Thanks

Re Blenheim R3742

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 7 JANUARY, 1947

7th January, 1947.
    The KING has been graciously pleased to give orders for the following appointments to the Most Excellent Order of the British EmpireTo be Additional Members in the Military Division of the said Most Excellent Order

Warrant Officer Clifford WEBB (540410), Royal Air Force, No. 21 Squadron.
    Warrant Officer Webb and two members of his crew reached the coast at Wissant after their aircraft had been shot down near Ardres on 15th June, 1940. After obtaining a boat, they set out for England. For three days they were without food or water, but succeeded in reaching a spot six miles from the English coast. Fog obscured their bearings and they drifted back to the French coast. After spending two days at St. Valery,on 3Oth June, 1940. During his period of captivity, Warrant Officer Webb undertook tunnelling activity. He escaped once from a working party for two days and once from Stalag Luft I. Finally in April, 1945, he broke away and joined the Allied Forces

CWGC has P/O William Anthony Saunders #40756 21 Sqn 14/06/1940 Age: 20 on Runnymede so based on Joss note date should be around 22nd June 1940

Thanks

Just I'd Jefferies:

548697 Dennis Arthur JEFFERIES (commisioned 1944 with #56182)

Thanks

Paul,

Well done on Jefferies. For some reason, both last night and today, his enlisted service number brings up no result on the London Gazette website. Of course his officer's number does ! I could not find him on the Air 78 lists either.
    One point is that the 1939 incident ocurred on 14 November 1939 according to the 101 Squadron ORB., not in October.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Martin

Thanks for correcting the date for me, Nov 11 makes much more sense when you assume Irvin order based on date

I googled Jefferies and Service number and google found it appears google better at scanning London Gazette PDFs than London Gazette!

Thanks

Paul