Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: www.rafcommands.com For Sale

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scott McIntosh View Post

Majority vote rules no matter how narrow a margin it happened to be.

Is there someone who would be willing to take the lead on this and happens to have the technical knowledge to run this forum.

I think everyone now has the general idea.

We may even end up with several people with varying degrees of technical abilities.
    I am too old and too computer il-literate to do anything except agree to paying a fee
    to keep this forum alive.

Maybe some one in the forum could convince Hugh Haliday(sp) to accept the responsibility
    of leadership. I realise that he is a very busy person, as I have read much of his
    work in the Canadian Legion Magazine and other places. I was surprised to discover
    that he wasn't an "old" veteran with all his knowledge.

Robert

Thanks

I too would be willing to chip in with funding providing it isn't too much and a clear frame work for rules and responsibilites is laid out.

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Priority in this discussion should be given to the matter of a webmaster with the time, expertise and confidence to maintain the site. Without a "Ross clone" then all else is expressions of good feelings. In terms of expertise alone I am NOT that person.

I suggest that such a clone should make himself known to Ross first (for the purpose of negotiation) and then to the Forum members to obtain the necessary assurances of financial assistance. Ross might also communicate, either through the board or privately, what has been arranged (i.e. a bare-bones successor or a true reincarnation).

Rules and regulations can follow after that. The one rule that I would insist upon is that there be no discrimination or special privileges for any who have participated in the operation. All Forum members remain equal.

Thanks

Hugh: Well said.
    We all want it to continue, but what financial considerations must be met are up to Ross. Whover has the tech know-how and time can count on support provided there is no outrageous 'new agenda'.

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

I don't mind chipping in either!

Thanks

Dont worry about the Technical side of it - I volunteer for that. apart from the initial set up and workings, it usually will be smooth sailing.

But do plan for a 'board of moderators' who will approve legitimate memberships and oversee the conversations.

Fortunately RAF Commands is a very well behaved forum with very little trolling or bad behaviour so the moderators too should be able to handle the job. Its a simple task that anyone who is familiar with the board posting can do.

Thanks

Well I would suggest following process - any comments welcomed:

1. Jagan will discuss technical + financial matters with Ross
    2. then Jagan will contact the members who are willing to take part in the financial support by the group email to discuss the possibilities how to raise the necessary funds to buy the domain + to maintain it for the first year.
    3. the next step could be discussion about the 'board of moderators', my own experience showed that this board should be small, 2-3 persons max. But if more members are willing to take part we can have one Master moderator and other can change in year period for example?

I also fully support the opinion of Hugh, essentially I think we can go on with the rules stated by Ross, only new rules should be created for members of the 'board of moderators'.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

I think Pavel's suggestion is very sound and would be happy to assist in anyway I can both financially and practically.

Malcolm

Thanks

Broadly agree Pavel's proposal(s).
    1 Agreed
    2 Agreed - but there needs to be a clear proposal as to what is "initial buy out" and what is "subsequent running costs".
    3 Not sure about this one! We have a number of Senior Members scattered around the world to ensure a (or several) Mod(s) is/are on duty as the earth orbits the sun!! Europe>E Canada>W Canada>Oz/NZ>India>Europe. Might need more than "2-3 persons" to achieve this? Their TORs need to be well written - and then we have to get them to "volunteer". (Ho Ho!).

There is a 3rd way. I, from-time-to-time, log-on to an aviation/Air-Traffic site. It is 'Free', but there are adverts. You can join the site and, by paying a small fee, can become a recipient of a "non-advertising" version of the site! Just a thought!

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 28th August 2013 at 14:57.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,

2 - yes one question is the fund for the domain cost and second the annual fees for maintenance. Raising funds for the year maintenance should be agreed firmly in longer term as we will need them every year.
    3 - I do not think we need 24/7 monitoring of the forum - from my point of view 3 moderator would be find - one USA/Canada, one central Europe and one Australia/New Zealand for example.

The question of advertisement is very delicate and I think that not all members will agree and I also think it would be better to follow the original idea presented by Ross. Also I think we should discussed this question before buying the domain and it might be stated in the new rules if advertisements can be added or not.

The question is if the forum will be bought who will have the right to made the decision about adding advertisements?
    1. all members? - democracy is nice but I think not the right thing in this case.
    2. members who participate financially on the domain bought? - should be the optimal variant but also depends on the number of members
    3. admin? - maybe the best way but in this case some members from point 2 should disagree and stopped their financial support

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz