Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: www.rafcommands.com For Sale

Thanks

Pavel,
    Tks yr response.
    Yes, I think we are moving in the right direction! I hope there is a 'majority' who are in agreement?
    The difference between initial buy-out, and subsequent running costs, needs to be very clearly laid down.
    I disagree with you over the Mods. I think there should be sufficient Mods (across the globe) to cater for sickness, computer downs, etc. 5 to 6 would be my preferred numbers - having been involved, in the past, with having the right people of sufficient seniority on-duty in 'the place' and 'at the time' to make decisions, I do think I might be right.
    As far as Advertisement is concerned, I am glad the current rafcommands is clear of it (well done, Ross!). My reason for bringing it up was that it may help, continually, to defray running costs.
    Your (second!) para 3. I would be prepared to support the continuation of rafcommands by financial means. But, when I die my bank account will be frozen, and rafcommands will - no longer - receive my monthly/annual contribution. It will be up to those of you left to get some rafcommands member to replace my lost contributions. I will be looking down (or up, as the case may be) to see what you are doing!!
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter's post above has my full agreement in every respect, especially about the ads. Reference his final paragraph, I think he should write RAF Commands into his Will!
    Regards
    Max
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453

Thanks

I posted this earlier.

" I believe the way forward for maintain the site at current levels and projected growth is for either expanded ecommerce or inclusion of ad banners."

I also said that offers in the region of 1K will see all the running costs paid and extended to Nov 2014 giving the new team a no cost year to make changes and decide if better hosting deal can be made.

I've set Jagan up as a temp Admin for a few days so he can have a look around the forum software and report back on features/capability.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015 to 2021 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

I am also willing to contribute to keep this fantastic site going but like many others have no technical expertise or a desire to be a moderator.
    Andy

Thanks

I'm glad to see steady progress on saving this valuable forum. Unfortunately, my little bit of available money and technical expertise is already soaked up by my own web site, but you all have my strong moral support. I would also add that my daily newspaper is full of ads, they make the paper cheaper, and I still read my paper. If I don't like the ads I don't read them.

Thanks

Guys, I see a lot of enthusiasm, but I would like to draw your attention to few important issues. One is ownership. Who shall be a registered owner? What happens if by any chance something happens to the owner? How about shareholders? How about long term cost of the site? How about security of users' data?
    I am not going to discourage anybody, just pointing out, that there are several legal issues, that must be solved somehow.
    Concerning adverts, as long as they are not pop ups, I have nothing against them. I think that simple calculation of cost/gain balance should be made. If not random adverts, then perhaps a single sponsorship should be sought. Then, some sort of a fund could be considered, I think. I suppose that say RAFC mugs could be of interest to a number of users, and provide the necessary profit to keep the web running. Then again, the question is of legal approach.

Thanks

Ross, I got your message on the details. and as mentioned I will just look around and not touch anything.

I will certainly see if I can get this rolling. I have contact details for Bruce (Dennis), Hugh (Halliday) and Paul (McMillan).

May i request all the others who are interested in contributing to this effort to email me ? my address is jaganpvs a.t-t.h.e-r.a.t.e gmail

I will put all the emails in the proposals we have and start discussing. we can work out the plan..

I would also request all members to keep posting your concerns on this thread, so that all issues can be discussed.

Thanks

I am one of those previously mentioned in this thread who has learned an incredible amount from input provided by members of this forum over the last two years. The knowledge I have gained is now being utilised to help others in their research.

The beauty of the forum is that newcomers, irregular users and regular users are all treated the same.

This philosophy must remain high on the agenda in whatever new structure is adopted; we mustn't develop a "private club" which only responds to threads posted by those that have contributed financially.

[Just a small concern I have which I thought was worth recording]

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

I dont think there is any question of a private club where paying members become the elite and whom only talk amongst themselves. I dont know where people are getting the idea.

The simple fact is that to see this unique forum community survive in it present form unless a single buyer and operator comes forward then it is up the rest of who can contribute financially/technically to do so and essentially save the forum for all.

It is not a case of making money either but it would be nice if the forum could support itself and pay its own way and not reply on cash from others ie self sufficient.

Also what we still need is one person who can be named as owner and or be reponsible for the technical side ie running the forum and maintainence. I have someone in mind who could also provide technical cover too.

I think Jagan is already well advanced in being the technical side of things. So we may the tech side of things taken care off.

Another thing is that decision making would be made democratically between all financially contributing members. It is that clear and simple. Maybe if some big decisions need to made it could be discussed on part of the forum before hand to get a varied view of ideas etc but ultimate decisions come down to those 20 or however many end up paying their hard earned cash for the forum. It is only fair I think.

Also if a member decides he does not want to pay the annual renewal then notice should be given prior to renewal and a suitable buyer found to take on his or her share. If no buyer can be found then the share is offered to all remaining member at an equal share. A 19th share of a share is only just over 1 afterall. Working on a rough costing of a 20 annual renewal. (Yes I know that is a little high but it is always better to have too much in the bank than not enough)

The same should also be true for members that become uncontactable. A paying member should make resonable efforts to stay in contact with the rest of the paying members. If not then your share would be given up in exactly the same way as described above having first being dicussed by the other remaining members. This could cover members who drift away from the community or through becoming deceased etc etc. Should you wish as family member and friend to take your share on your demise then that would be up to you to put it to the other members before such an event.

Your share of the forum should not be transferable in any form to any other member of the forum unless previously discussed between paying members.

And so the list could go on but I think by now most people get the idea.

I also think that Adverts are the win/win for everyone. If you dont like adverts then dont read or click them but adverts do provide much needed cash to run the forum FREE for EVERYONE. Yes we need an initial buy out for Ross but after that and through adverts / ecommerce the paying members could first be paid back their stake and then any other income goes towards annual renewal/upgrade/maintainence costs. Adverts should not be intrusive and should be sympathetic to the subject matter of this forum. Selling things in a shop is always going to be a bit of work for anyone who is willing to take it on but if we are talking printing mugs with RAFC on it or Tshirts etc etc this would also require outlay etc. If it was as Ross has done with the records etc then this could be looked at as an additional income. I am really not sure about copyright and legal issues however on that one.

Yes there is a lot to think about and a lot to take in but with a good mix of common sense from everyone I am sure we will get there.
    Regards Scott McIntosh

ACIA Researcher

Search for Air Crash Investigation & Archaeology on Facebook for our groups page.

Thanks

Over the last two years or so I have been doing research on my late father's stint in 103 Sqdn as Lancaster pilot.
    After exhausting other sources I turned to this site hoping to ferret-out some unanswered questions.
    Having done so, I immediately learn the site is soon to transform or maybe even go down.

My opinion is not of a long-term member; however, what are the objections to opening up the site to advertising in order to pay for the cost of hosting?

I don't ask this to generate dissention, only that it may be a last-ditch option.