Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: www.rafcommands.com For Sale

Thanks

It is salutary to realise how much Ross has invested in RAF Commands on our behalves and that is much appreciated.

I am not sure about putting in money up front to transfer the ownership of the board as Franek says that seems hellishly complicated to me. But I would certainly be prepared to sign up to a subscription arrangement for membership of RAF Commands if that proved to be the best way to continue to fund its activities. However, for me, the problems with access to the board over the last few months have been very frustrating and have considerably reduced my visits and I am not sure I would buy a subscription if those problems continue.

I don't know whether I say this with pleasure or sorrow but I barely understand most of what Ross writes in his explanations of what is going with “bots” and “data miners” and “spiders” and all the “guests” but in talking with friends, who do understand these things, I understand that it is possible to prevent all that activity by the way in which the board is set up. I would hope that there could be some discussion about that.

Steve

Thanks

I have received emails from many on this thread - I think there are a considerable number of folks (~20) so the initial idea that Scott has put up seems pretty much doable (50 GBP x 20 ).. so I will send an email out to all those who contacted me and we can take it up from there.

Ross, I hope we should have something lined up formally within the next ten days - I hope that should be okay with you.

(and if others are interested in joining in - please email me jaganpvs a.t-t.h.e-r.a.t.e gmail )

Thanks

Two thoughts:

1. When Ross explained about the web-crawlers in response to my query at http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?15272-Slow-access , I started monitoring other forums I use. Most were similarly affected to some degree or other, but RAFCommands and Key Publishing (http://forum.keypublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?4-Historic-Aviation) were most adversely affected. A short while ago KP had 55 members and 699 guests, RAFC currently has 4/57.

I've never had any problem accessing KP, so it seems to me we (Jagan?) should be considering a similar host (hope that's the correct word). The advertisments don't worry me in the slightest.

2. Whatever the change one of the most important requirements is that we continue to be able to access the existing archive. I've never been able to access the pre-2007 archive, and I'd hate for that to happen again.

3. Current hits are RAFCommands 5/48, KP 35/160.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 29th August 2013 at 20:48.

Thanks

Are the old posts (pre-2007) available to download in a file anywhere Ross?

I notice some have difficulty in accessing the old posts from this period. Although I do not have the finances or time to comit to the new project I do have some data cleansing software I wrote some time back which I can utilise to make the old data easier to search. I also have enough web experience to bring this online if it will help the new moderators and Jagan.

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

All the DiscServer and Vbulletin posts are indexed by Google and can be found through that medium

eg Google search
    "Blenheim, No.53 Sqn, 16/06/41" site:www.rafcommands.com

Gives this thread from 2001
    http://www.rafcommands.com/dcforum/DCForumID6/2.html

The sticky message at the top of the current index page is also useful but only if you use the updated info on page 3 - the links in early posts in this thread have died off

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?5-How-to-access-posts-on-old-board/page3

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2020 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyffe View Post
    I've never had any problem accessing KP, so it seems to me we (Jagan?) should be considering a similar host (hope that's the correct word). The advertisments don't worry me in the slightest.

2. Whatever the change one of the most important requirements is that we continue to be able to access the existing archive. I've never been able to access the pre-2007 archive, and I'd hate for that to happen again.
    Brian, my thoughts.

KP is a high traffic, high bandwidth site - and is probably hosted on a pretty solid host /infrastructure that will also be super-expensive!. RAFC is much lower in terms of traffic and bandwidth and we will certainly look at the cost effecive options.

Reg the old archive - looking at the support and interest - we can actually find a way to 'restore' it to some readable format within the current board. it wont be a perfect solution, but it will be an acceptable solution. It will require help from members/volunteers, but it can be done . Jim has mentioned an approach and some tools he has - and that is one way of doing it. I am hopeful that can be achieved in a reasonable timespan.

Thanks

All the discserver threads appear in readable format as html files. The individual data that the html uses for display is in txt format. Both are archived, the txt format in a sub directory of DCF6 and 7 called Data.

eg
    HTML Format
    http://www.rafcommands.com/dcforum/DCForumID6/2.html

Text format (Google prefers to index this format)
    http://www.rafcommands.com/dcforum/DCForumID6/Data/1.txt

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2020 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

As I just told Jagan in a PM... I can assist on the technical side, and would be willing to help moderate. I can contribute something to the purchase... eventually.
    David

Thanks

Count me in for financial support.

Thanks

In one form or another I'll certainly pitch in financially. Sorry for the vagueness of this note...haven't had time to read the thread, but I trust Jagan's sensibilities. Jagan, I might ring you this weekend for a quick chat. Ross, though I'm only occasionally active, you've provided a brilliant service and touched many lives positively.