Thread: Slow access

Thanks

Default Slow access

I appreciate this subject comes up from time to time, vut is anyone else having problems accessing RAFCommands? More often than not AOL just doesn't want to know, and even using Google it's just taken over three minutes to get in, plus another 90 seconds just to open this page. This has been going on for some time.

Brian

Thanks

It seems to be intermittently slow/unavailable - maybe some spotty yoof on his school hols with nothing better to do is trying his hand at website hacking...or it could just be the server is busy?

Thanks

Lyffe,
    Same thista. To be observational, it has got worse over the last 24/48 hrs. I am beginning to get a very strong smell of "rat" upon the air!! Something has changed, and that change is not for the better! All is not well at rafcommands. If it has to be sold then those of us who are prepared to contribute, financially, have to know PRECISELY what is going on - and, to what, we might put our money into. At the moment, as far as I am concerned, there is little confidence in the technical/financial arrangements. But I always was thus!
    Very concerned!
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Ross explained this in great detail only a few weeks back,

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?15016-Slow-Forum

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?12374-Accessing-RAFCommands

fact of internet life, I think we will survive

And the conspiracy theories are so completely not needed, take the time to learn the technical background to the problem before turning to conspiracy.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 27th August 2013 at 16:52.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Peter,

Check your facts before shooting of on your conspiracy hobbyhorse.

Nothing more than the web spiders again.

Look at the home page to see that over 80 "guests" to 8 users - normally 30-40 guests to 5-8 users.

A pissed off
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Just out of interest Ross. Is it possible to turn off guest/anonymous logins?

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

it doesn't refer to logged on 'users', it just means computers visiting, there are 8 signed up members viewing, but there are up 70 computers in China, America etc, please read the links above, just surfing around and using up the available visiting space.

teh remaining guests will be the folks who are trying to learn about Granddad Jack who flew on Lancasters during the war, they may become guests. They are the people we are here to help I don;t think they should be locked out.

plus I'm wasting a suer space here typing..... use the archives and go read another website while the forum is loading
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 27th August 2013 at 17:28.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Jim

Yes but then you loose the ability to see the forum on the legitimate search engines.

All web crawlers are supposed to look for a txt file entitled Robots which prescribes how they are to behave on the server.

For rafcommands,com it defines two directories that are not to be indexed and sets a minimum time between page calls of 10 seconds.

If complied with then it will mean that over 400 human style users can use the number of available server ports.

Taking the two minute period of 16:41 to 16:42 hrs

The web address 61.111.15.80 generated over 70 error messages as below
    Database error in vBulletin :

mysql_connect(): User XXXXXX has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections /vhost/vhost11/r/a/f/rafcommands.com/www/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 313

MySQL Error :
    Error Number :
    Request Date : Tuesday, August 27th 2013 @ 04:41:19 PM
    Error Date : Tuesday, August 27th 2013 @ 04:41:20 PM
    Script : http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?10554-430721-Unaccounted-airmen-21-7-1943/page2
    Referrer :
    IP Address : 61.111.15.80 (Lg Dacom Kidc in Republic of Korea)
    Username :
    Classname : vB_Database
    MySQL Version :

If complying with the robot file then the max error messages it should have generated if ports busy with other users is 6 per min ie 12 not the 73 it did.

Bounced 8 times in the same period was a good guy web crawler
    Database error in vBulletin :

mysql_connect(): User XXXXXX has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections /vhost/vhost11/r/a/f/rafcommands.com/www/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 313

MySQL Error :
    Error Number :
    Request Date : Tuesday, August 27th 2013 @ 04:41:00 PM
    Error Date : Tuesday, August 27th 2013 @ 04:41:00 PM
    Script : http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?626-Ap-o-Basil-Linnington-Evans&daysprune=-1
    Referrer :
    IP Address : 157.55.35.45 (Microsoft bing bot)
    Username :
    Classname : vB_Database
    MySQL Version :

This legitimate bot was trying to access at the frequency given in the Robots file but could not due to the Korean data miner pinging access at high rate.

At the moment 17:28 hrs the load has fallen to 55 guests ( includes three legitimate web crawlers pinging pages every 10 secs) and the port usage is ok

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.

Thanks

Dennis,

I'm well aware of the previous posts and explanations, hence my introductory remark, but whereas in the past (in my experience) the problem appeared periodic and relatively short-lived, the recent episode seems more serious by far.

My apologies, Ross, it was an innocent query.

Brian

Thanks

No problems Brian,

Just happened that this one was more persistent than normal, returning sooner than most and happened along with legitimate spiders.

If you google

spiders ignoring robots.txt

you will get a flavour of the problem. The bad guys are now also starting to spoof the legitimate bots from google, Bing etc to circumvent traps and preventative measures.

Typically for bad crawlers operatimg outside China they are downloading every page to look for email addresses posted in the text of messages so any complaint about activity is already being ignored.

Regards
    Ross