Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Halifax MkII Bombers Numbers W1247, W1181, DT539 and W7914

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ghammond View Post
    Geoff
    Sgt F.R Thompson was Canadian born and was my paternal grandmotherís brother (my Great Uncle) and known as Ralph to his family and friends. According to his service record he trained at Cardington, Cranwell and 10SRCH before being stationed at Topcliffe and joined 102 Sqdn on 20/6/42.
    I also have his log book and see he was mid upper gunner in various Halifaxís piloted by P.O.King from August 42. There is was interesting entry for 23/9/42 on ops to Flensburg in Halifax W1066 they were attacked by an ME109.F and returned with damage.
    Along with various photos I also have a very interesting letter from Geoffrey Kingís brother, H.James King, written to the families of the crew. It recalls a visit made by him to the original grave site just south of Hangest. It is written on letter headed paper from King & Co and dated July 4th 1946..
    I was wondering if when you visited the crash site at Bourden, did you manage to find the exact location of the crash and take any pictures?
    Graham..
    Graham/Geoffrey,

Fascinating comments from you both. PO Geoffrey King is my great uncle, my mother's uncle, so her father's brother Douglas King. H (Herbert) James King was my great-grandfather. It is funny how information gets misinterpreted down the line. The information I know (doesn't mean it's right!!) is that the crash site was Hangest. But the crew's bodies were temporarily burried in the local church, which ties up with the comments above, and then moved to Abbeville. Looking at Bourdon on the map, the proximity makes sense now. I know my mother used to go to the site as a very little girl with her parents and grandparents and subsequently to the final resting place. My grandfather Douglas kept in touch with the family of the local farm who went to the scene of the crash. My grandfather took some soil from the site in his pocket home with him. Sadly nobody passed the information on as to the crash site location. Perhaps the Marie of Bourdon has something in his archives?

I'm sorry if my family came across as kill joys about the requested amendment to the headstone. As I'm sure you appreciate it is sensitive and it is what Geoffrey's parents wanted. My great grandmother Trudie never got over the loss of her son and sadly died 10 years later.

We have numerous letters going backwards and forwards between the families of the lost crew which I must dig out. Would it be too much trouble to ask for a copy of that letter from my great-grandfather please?

Could I also ask for both of your current email addresses please so that we can keep in touch.

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Thanks

Bombsaway
    I have tried to PM you but the system won't allow you to receive private messages for some reason. So Ihave sent the PM to Graham Hammond perhaps he can forward it to you
    Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by bombsaway View Post
    Graham/Geoffrey,

Fascinating comments from you both. PO Geoffrey King is my great uncle, my mother's uncle, so her father's brother Douglas King. H (Herbert) James King was my great-grandfather. It is funny how information gets misinterpreted down the line. The information I know (doesn't mean it's right!!) is that the crash site was Hangest. But the crew's bodies were temporarily burried in the local church, which ties up with the comments above, and then moved to Abbeville. Looking at Bourdon on the map, the proximity makes sense now. I know my mother used to go to the site as a very little girl with her parents and grandparents and subsequently to the final resting place. My grandfather Douglas kept in touch with the family of the local farm who went to the scene of the crash. My grandfather took some soil from the site in his pocket home with him. Sadly nobody passed the information on as to the crash site location. Perhaps the Marie of Bourdon has something in his archives?

I'm sorry if my family came across as kill joys about the requested amendment to the headstone. As I'm sure you appreciate it is sensitive and it is what Geoffrey's parents wanted. My great grandmother Trudie never got over the loss of her son and sadly died 10 years later.

We have numerous letters going backwards and forwards between the families of the lost crew which I must dig out. Would it be too much trouble to ask for a copy of that letter from my great-grandfather please?

Could I also ask for both of your current email addresses please so that we can keep in touch.

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Thanks

Default Re: Halifax MkII Bombers Numbers W1247, W1181, DT539 and W7914

Quote Originally Posted by Researchingreg View Post
    Graham
    I have some photos of the planes he flew in but not W7914 that my relation and your uncle died in on 22 Nov 1942.
    Geoff King
    Is anyone still watching this thread. My Great Uncle was Geoffrey King. My grandfather, Douglas King visited the crash site and wrote a detailed eyewitness account. If anyone is still watching this thread, please do get in touch

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bombsaway View Post
    Is anyone still watching this thread. My Great Uncle was Geoffrey King. My grandfather, Douglas King visited the crash site and wrote a detailed eyewitness account. If anyone is still watching this thread, please do get in touch
    Hello,

I took the liberty of sending an email to Researchingreg to advise him of your post. He has not visited the forum since September of 2020.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

I have managed to turn on Private messaging if that helps.

I sent this forgetting about the earlier messages I had sent in the group.