Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help looking for someone

Thanks

Default Help looking for someone

Hello,

You probably get this all the time on this forum so sorry for the repetition/wrong place to post but I just can't find any information on my Grandad, Cyril Jasper Barker who was a navigator in the Lancaster Bombers.

I have tried all the various genealogy websites etc but can't seem to find anything.

Would you recommend any literature etc to look for?

Once again apologies if this is the wrong place to ask.

Thanks

Not the wrong place at all. First thing you could do, is to apply for a copy of your grandfathers RAF Service Record, which will give you information on his various postings. I do'nt have the address to hand at the moment, but i expect someone will shortly come up with it
    Alan

Thanks

Probably best not to keep posting the address as it might change at next set of defense cuts, best to

For service record

Google search for: raf service record

http://www.raf.mod.uk/community/support/requestforinformationfromservicerecords.cfm
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Sturp, Hi,
    Welcome to the Forum.
    If this is yr man Cyril Jasper Barker then he was born 23 Dec 1921 (location not known). Death Reg Feb 1991 (Exeter Vol 21 Page 1142 Ref 291).
    Found him in AIR 78/9 at TNA. His Service Number was 1391139. He Enlisted in the RAFVR at Euston shortly after Aug 1940 (aged c. 19). His card on AIR 78/9 is marked 'MILITIA' in the top right-hand corner, and 'BM' in the bottom right-hand corner. The experts on the forum will tell you what that means. I can't get his name/number to come up in the London Gazette - so it looks as if he was neither Commissioned or didn't get a 'gong' (other than his Campaign Medals).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    PS To the TNA experts; is there any way of searching AIR 78/x (on-line) other than by flogging through its images 5 at a time, in strict sequence? V boring! V time-consuming!
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 1st September 2013 at 13:07.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,
    For nearly a year now, i have been systematically downloading files from AIR78, and all ive got to go on is a part ID disc, with a number 237134, and partial surname, ending in "cock" as in Peacock etc, so i know just how you feel. Poor fellow's skeleton (i have photo and disc) was found, with only the soles of his boots left, and a worn/broken tag, in Feb 43, in Middle East, but even using the part service number, it does not show anyone on CWGC, which makes me think he may be slightly pre WW2, which is why i'm crawling my way slowly through the AIR78's, looking for surnames ending in "cock"
    Alan.

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you very much for your help.

Apologies for the late reply but I expected to get an e-mail when the post was replied to so I just assumed that no one replied to this thread!

So thank you all! Much appreciated!

Thanks

Excellent, thank you very much Alan.

Thanks

Alan, I'd also go for pre-WW2 for the person you are looking for, the service number is a post 1 Apr 1918 RNAS enlistment if it is correct. You're probably looking at an interwar loss while on 'policing' duties.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Alan,
    Just for interest sake, would you like to see a scan of the disc, and photo of remains found. If so, pm your email address and i'll pop them in an email. The lettering on the tag, is not the same as later WW2 type, but the stumbling point is, that i've been told the remains of his boots, are post 1940, but i'm no expert on flying boot developement, :-)
    Last edited by AlanW; 15th September 2013 at 16:29.

Thanks

Hi AlanW,

Assuming pre war:

If you put the number into Discovery (advanced) and limit to AIR 79

You get George Edward Wilkinson.

A double check with AIR 78/170 gives the card for:

"Wilkinson
    G
    E

stamped F in a circle"

So this confirms a Class F reservist called George Edward Wilkinson with that service number.

His service file is open to view at the TNA.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.