Thread: Sergeant Ewen

Thanks

Default Sergeant Ewen

Has anyone come across a Sergeant Ewen, possibly first initial A. He cropped up in the also mentioned for an undigitised A705. I've not been able to trace him through AIR 78 and the LG, I also checked CWGC. The A705 gave a service number of 1332214 which is correct for an RAFVR number but I've not come across a corresponding name in Ewen, Ewens, Ewan, Ewans, Ewin and Ewins. I've also had a look through the McEwens and McEwans.

I have turned up the service number with a question mark against it in another A705 for a 1942 Halifax loss with a completely different name.
    Last edited by alclark; 1st September 2013 at 18:34.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Hi Al,

You are correct when you state that the service number 1332214 is duplicated in the Item Notes of the A705's of 413556 F/S Robert Phillip Henry BROWN RAAF, and 400332 W/O Arthur Allan ROBERTS RAAF*. Discounting transcription errors, these numbers are based on the original documentation - if that is wrong, then the transcription is also incorrect. It's not always the fault of the NAA. The time these messages were handled by clerks, encoders, and decoders, its a wonder they made any sense at all.

The NCO service number 1332214 was allocated to Harold Gainsford DRYHURST, checking the LG will confirm this. As for the service number of EWEN, l suggest you contact Bruno Lecaplain, here:

http://www.raf38group.org/index

Click on Contact.

And explain the problem.

* 1332214 is also repeated in the Item Notes of the A705 of 412827 Faulkner Adrian Andrew ORMISTON RAAF

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 2nd September 2013 at 02:35.

Thanks

Col,

Thanks for confirming that the service number belonged to Dryhurst and that I wasn't going mad not seeing it where I thought it should have been in AIR 78.

I think the error must be in the original document that is in both A705s for the accident I'm interested in (as you guessed, the Albemarle), probably a photostat of the 765c. The odds of the same transcription error being made on two separate casualty files is fairly slim, even if they were originally bundled by date.

Looking more closely at AIR 78/53 I think I've found the person I'm after, Alexander Ewen 1822114, an 8 can very easily become a 3 and a 1 can easily be lost.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Default Alexander Sandy Ewen

Quote Originally Posted by alclark View Post
    Col,

Thanks for confirming that the service number belonged to Dryhurst and that I wasn't going mad not seeing it where I thought it should have been in AIR 78.

I think the error must be in the original document that is in both A705s for the accident I'm interested in (as you guessed, the Albemarle), probably a photostat of the 765c. The odds of the same transcription error being made on two separate casualty files is fairly slim, even if they were originally bundled by date.

Looking more closely at AIR 78/53 I think I've found the person I'm after, Alexander Ewen 1822114, an 8 can very easily become a 3 and a 1 can easily be lost.
    Longshot on this old thread, i wonder if you ever discovered the fate of Sandy Ewen 1822114 Alan? Ive been unable to find any record of his death despite a credible account that he was lost. Id love to know if he survived the war or not.