Thread: Luftwaffe Pilot who gave himself up to the Desert Air Force

Thanks

Default Luftwaffe Pilot who gave himself up to the Desert Air Force

During my Father in Law's wartime service in North Africa as a tail gunner in Wimpeys with either 37 or 40 Squadron a German pilot followed the Squadron back to base and literally gave himself up! I have his Kennkarte ID, a separate photograph of him and his Iron Cross. Recent enquiries on his Kennkarte ID (written in old German script) have suggested that his name may have been Johannes Gerffgen(?). His DOB was 17/03/1920 and he was born in Loblauf near Zweibruecken, SW Germany.

Since it appears he was flying a single seater I'm assuming he might have been a fighter pilot and that he may have flown with JG27....

I wonder if anyone has any info on this - possibly from the ORB of either Squadron? I understand Johannes remained with the Squadron for some time and was treated well.

Many thanks, in anticipation,

Gerry

Thanks

Gerry,

If you give me your father in law's surname, I can check whether he was with 40, though I don't recall such a incident mention in the ORBs.

David

Thanks

Default Luftwaffe Pilot who gave himself up

David,
    Many thanks. His name is Samuel Craig, Flight Sgt (1097379) later Flt Lt. (156362). I know he served with 40 Sqd but I don't know if he was with it at the time of this incident.
    Kind regards
    Gerry

Thanks

Gerry,

Suggest you try the Luftwaffe Experten Message Board at http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/forums/. The specific forum which deals with German aircrew is at http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/fo...p?showforum=32 . I've found the members very helpful in the past, although not all queries can be answered. Obviously you have to register.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Gerry,

If you are able to provide the month and year of this incident I should be able to work out who it was. Or perhaps you could provide a scan of the pilot's identity papers.

Cheers,
    Andrew A.

Thanks

There will certainly be an Air Intelligence (K) report for this one (PoW interrogation), but the month & year would help narrow it as they are filed by date in blocks covering either a few months or later on whole years.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/