Thread: RNZAF air gunners joining No.2 Sqn Sept 1940

Thanks

Default RNZAF air gunners joining No.2 Sqn Sept 1940

Hi,

In Errol Martynís For Your Tomorrow, Vol 2 I found a group of RNZAF air gunners that joined
    No.2 (Army co-operation) Sqn, RAF in September 1940. Most of them left the squadron in April 1941 for service in Bomber Command but two stayed until late July when Tomahawks started to replace the Lysanders.

Lloyd Montgomery Chamberlain, Bruce Colin Dreaver, Lionel Manuel Goldsmith, Lawrence Beresford Hamilton Hope, Owen Kenyon Jones, James Benjamin Leigh and Douglas Malcolm Mackinnon all tragically died during WW2 but I wonder if there besides these seven men were any survivors in the group.

I have a copy of ORB Form 540 June-September but the posting of these gunners are not mentioned. There are no Appendices for this unit and I do not know where to find more information.

Regards,
    Peter

Thanks

Peter,
    These were seven of the 24 airman air gunners who departed Auckland, New Zealand per RANGITATA on 7 June 40 to Methil via the Panama Canal, arriving at latter on approx 20 July. Actually sixteen of these young fellows were lost during their service on attachment to the RAF (a very high casualty rate for the RNZAF, 66.66% of course); the other 8 all eventually returned to NZ, including one who had been a PoW. I gather you do not have access to Errol's Volume 3 (essential research tool for keen types!) Those others killed were Bolton, J W; Brown, R; Dyer, H D P; Hindrup, F G; Hughes, D E; McKay, R V N; Milner, W H J; Thomson, N E; Trengrove, R W J. Of these extra 9, two went to 15 OTU (Wellington bombers - Bolton, Brown); 5 OTU (Blenheim light bombers - Dyer, Hindrup), or 1 (C) OTU (Hughes, McKay, Milner, Thomson, Trengrove). It would appear from these notes that this course, on arrival in the UK, was divided up (from an alphabetical list) into Commands, probably depending on the demand of each at the time, although the Army Co-op chaps were scattered between the other groups.
    David D

Thanks

David,
    Thanks for the reply. I have Errolís Volume 3 (I found the info about the 7 gunners I mentioned there) but sometimes I fail to use it in the most effective way. Maybe I do not see the wood because of all threes. Still it is the book I use most of all my books. I hope that Volume 4 with POWs will come soon but Errol seems to be busy with other projects.

I had a new look at the list of men travelling with RANGITATA with the alphabet in mind and R.C.I. Clarke seems to be the most likely candidate.

Knowing that you are the expert when it comes to 75 Sqn crews I have question regarding Gordon Phillip Newdick. I have a note that he served with 75 Sqn. Do you know if he served with any other units before he was posted to 75 Sqn?

Peter