Thread: Daily Mirror: July 7, 1926: Pilot Only Bruised After Leap from Crashing Plane

Thanks

Default Daily Mirror: July 7, 1926: Pilot Only Bruised After Leap from Crashing Plane

Found this article in

Daily Mirror: July 7, 1926

PARACHUTE ESCAPE

Pilot Only Bruised After Leap from Crashing Plane

LANDING AMONG COWS
    When a single-sealer aeroplane crashed yesterday at Farnborough, Kent, the pilot escaped unhurt by making a parachute descent.
    The machine, one of the latest types of fighting 'planes, nose-dived and crashed in a field near the main road. As it descended Pilot Officer Evans was seen to leap out with a parachute. He landed among a herd of cows.
    Passengers in an omnibus rushed to him and found that he was cut, bruised and slightly dazed, but his machine was a total wreck, the engine being buried in the ground and its tail sticking up into the air.

Can anyone provide any other information on this incident?? If details are true then it is a 'unknown' parachute drop. I wonder if anyone can suggest who Pilot Officer Evans was.. He may have been Pilot Officer SIDNEY ARTHUR VERNON EVANS of 56 Sqn (who had Glebes at the time). he killed in flying accident 4th Feb 1927 - But there may have been Evans of other Sqns who flew over Kent at time..

I can't find any reference in 56 Sqn ORB so maybe not this person or Sqn

Thanks Paul

Thanks

Update May 2016

Well I now know that it was indeed Pilot Officer Sidney Arthur Vernon Evans of 56th Sqn who was involved in this incident and he was flying a Gloster Glebe however the true story may have been a bit less dramatic

Framlingham Weekly News - Saturday 17 July 1926
    Page 2
    Striking a fence in forced landing near Lord Avebury’s estate. High Elms, Farnborough, Kent, a Grebe fighting plane was wrecked, and Pilot-Officer S. A. (V). Evans, 56th Squadron R.A.F,. had a narrow escape from injury.

Still a bit confused did he parachute or not but at least I know the who, where and with what bit

Paul
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 5th May 2016 at 12:55.