Thread: 22 Squadron Bomber Command

Thanks

Default 22 Squadron Bomber Command

Does anyone have any information on Sgt Thomas Wareing M Number 516730 killed 1941, like how was he killed, (looks like a training squadron) when and where or any other information please. I am in New Zealand so it is hard to access some of these records.

Also his brother Robert Wareing number 86325 who was a POW in Barth Vogelsang (L1) also in the RAF but no squadron.

Thank you so much for all the info I have on the other brother (Vince) - all my cousins.

Regards
    Dyan

Thanks

Hi Dyan,

No.22 Sqn was attached to Coasal Command and was far from a training squadron having been operational from the day war broke out and it was on this date that Wareing is first listed on the squadron operational role.

15/01/41
    No.22 Sqn
    Beaufort I
    W6489

Coded OA-W

F/L J R Fishwick
    Sgt D S Craik RCAF
    Sgt T Wareing
    Sgt A T Smith

Op: Gardening (Mine dropping), RAF North Coates, Took off18:10 hrs

Took off and set course for the River Weser Estuary. On return aircraft S/22 reported that at 19:15 hrs some 120 miles from base in position MFRC 3829 a brilliant white light was seen in the sky for ten minutes. It then faded gradually and appeared to lose height as it did so. The crew of S/22 think that it may have been an aircraft on fire. All, including Sgt Craik from Moosejaw, Saskatchewan, and F/L Fishwick from New Westminster, New Brunswick, Canada, are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

Regards
    Riss

Thanks

Default R Wareing

hello Dyan,

you may or may not know but Robert Wareing won a Distinguished Flying Cross award prior to his capture:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.aspx?pdf=35145&geotype=London&gpn=2368&typ e=ArchivedIssuePage&all=86325&exact=&atleast=&simi lar=

Gazette Issue 35145 published on the 25 April 1941. Page 6 of 60
    Air Ministry,
    2$th April, 1941.

Distinguished Flying Cross.
    Pilot Officer Robert WAREING (86325), Royal
    Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 106 Squadron.
    One night in April, 1941, this officer was captain of an aircraft detailed to carry out a low level attack on two enemy battle cruisers at Brest. When making his attack, Pilot Officer Wareing came down to 1,000 feet but owing to the darkness he was short of his target. He was immediately met by a terrific anti-aircraft barrage and searchlights. Despite this, he pressed on but was unable to identify his target. Undaunted, however, he decided to make another attack and, regaining height, flew over the target area for about 40 minutes and finally made a successful attack on one of the ships dropping an extremely heavy bomb which was seen to burst either on the ship or on the dockside.
    This officer displayed great coolness and courage in the face of tremendous opposition.

And it seems he also got a Bar to the DFC for further service:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1942/1942%20-%200101.html?search=r.wareing

F/O. R. WAREING, D..F.C, R.A.F.V.R,., No. 106 Squadron.—This officer has carried out a number of operational sorties since being awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. These missions include targets in heavily defended areas; he has
    also participated in daylight sorties wherein he has displayed superb skill. F/O. Wareing has always shown the greatest keenness and enthusiasm
    for operations.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 17th April 2008 at 07:27. Reason: Added DFC bar info
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Robert was also Mentioned in Despatches as Acting Squadron Leader - 14th January, 1944.

Thanks

Dyan,

Squadron Leader Robert WAREING P.O.W 582 Sqn Lancaster ND817 7/8/44 Target Mare De Magne Normandy. Crew 2 POW, 2 Evaded, 4 KIA. Robert was wounded and couldn't evade capture !

I have lots of details on Robert as I was researching his crew. Robert enlisted in RAFVR pre war 7 February 1939 742965 Sergeant.

Other details I found on the London Gazette, Robert was commissioned in the RAFVR Training Branch 14/12/1954 F/O Robert WAREING D.F.C. He relinquished his commission 14/12/1958 4 years.

He must of made a late claim for his Air Efficiency Award as he qualified due to his war service.'Air Efficiency Award 1942-2005' - Nominall Roll - Christopher Brooks :-

WAREING R SQDN LDR DATE 19/10/1960 86325 RAFVR DFC (WITH EFFECT 7/2/1944 )
    (5 YEARS SERVICE)

tchaycockATaol.com

Mark

Thanks

Default Thank you all so much

I never knew any of this, I knew Bob had been in a POW Camp I had no idea he had a DFC and bar he never spoke of it and he moved away when I was quite young and we rarely saw him, and Thomas as well, how my aunt must have suffered no wonder she would not talk about them - this has been a good day and a bad day for me, finding all this information about my cousins, they were true heroes may they Rest In Peace. It is ironic that I found all this out today as here in New Zealand we celebrate this weekend ANZAC day your equivalent to Rememberance Day (which we also celebrate). Thank you one and all, I will give my grandson Vinces (the other brother) wings to wear in the parade on Sunday and I will make sure he knows that he represents one whole family of RAF boys. Ironically my nephew is serving with the RAF in Iraq at present, I will pass this info onto him too when I can....he will be so proud of them.

Regards
    Dyan
    Last edited by Dyan; 17th April 2008 at 11:04.

Thanks

Default Sorry to be a pain

but I am not up with all these terms could you please explain the "Air Effeciency" thing....sorry to be a nuisance as I say I am not up on these things, if it was the Army I would be okay as my father, husband and others were in that. It was the Wareing boys who were the "Flyers".

Regards
    Dyan

Thanks

Dyan,

No problem, it's taken me years to figure out all this stuff. Bob was a 'weekend flyer' he joined the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve in February 1939 to learn to fly and get paid for the privilege. At the start of war he was called up to full time service to complete his flying training.

During 1942 a new medal was introduced to reward the pre-war volunteers RAFVR, Auxilary Air Force. To gain the medal you had to complete 10 years service. War time service counted as double and sometimes treble time towards the award, one major point was you had to complete at least five year service. So most of Bob's RAFVR colleagues who fought and died during the early years of war were not eligible for this award.

It seems Bob either didn't receive or didn't claim his award at the end of WW2. I believe most wartime servicemen were more interested in returning to civilian life,than claiming medals !

As I said before Bob served with the RAFVR Training Branch 1954-1958, this must of led to his late award of the Air Efficiency Award in 1960. The medal is rather fine and it is named to recipent, unlike all the WW2 campaign medals.

I beleive Bob was an Accountant born 22/12/1916 Scunthorpe. His POW report mentions his home as 56 West Common Gardens, Scunthorpe Lincolnshire. Before today I knew nothing about the loss of his two brothers. Which makes it all the more surprising after losing two brothers, he starts another bomber tour with a Pathfinder squadron 582 !

Please feel free to e-mail me

Mark