Thread: Wellington MKXIII Serial No. NB824 524 Squadron

Thanks

Default Wellington MKXIII Serial No. NB824 524 Squadron

I am searching for relatives of the Crew of Wellington MKX111 Serial NB824. 524 Squadron Coastal Command. This aircraft crashed on take-off at RAF Langham, Norfolk on 26 March 1945

W/O John Brogan Pilot )
    Flt/Sgt Frederick A Harris Co-pilot )
    Flt/Sgt Leonard Shelton Cuthbert Navigator ) All killed
    Sgt Leonard Lewis Laming )
    I am a relative of Flt/Sgt Harris and am in touch relatives of W/O Brogan and Sgt Laming, but to date I have been unsuccessful in finding relatives of Flt/Sgt Cuthbert.

Survived
    Sgt J Marston I know that he came from Hathershaw, Oldham.
    I have had no success from writing to the local press.
    Sgt D R Carter
    W/O C E Loftus
    I do not know the Christian names of the three survivors or their service numbers. It is possible there will be a ceremony at Langham for the 70th anniversary of this crash in 2015 so I am keen to find relatives of all the crew if possible. .
    I believe there was an inquiry after this crash and would be interested in having a copy, but I do not know where to look.
    Any help would be much appreciated
    P. Harris

Thanks

Hi as for the crash details you shou contacted RAF Museum Hendon to get a copy of Flying Accident Card (Form 1180). There should be description of the accident + conslusion of CoI and assemsents by the Commanding Officers.

HTH

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Default Leonard Cuthbert

I am a relative of Leonard Cuthbert - my mother ( Audrey ) and my Uncle ( David) are his siblings. I was born 16 years after Len died but he was always remembered in my family and my mother still has his photo in her dining room. I would be interested in information about other crew members.

Sandra Burch

Quote Originally Posted by marshland View Post
    I am searching for relatives of the Crew of Wellington MKX111 Serial NB824. 524 Squadron Coastal Command. This aircraft crashed on take-off at RAF Langham, Norfolk on 26 March 1945

W/O John Brogan Pilot )
    Flt/Sgt Frederick A Harris Co-pilot )
    Flt/Sgt Leonard Shelton Cuthbert Navigator ) All killed
    Sgt Leonard Lewis Laming )
    I am a relative of Flt/Sgt Harris and am in touch relatives of W/O Brogan and Sgt Laming, but to date I have been unsuccessful in finding relatives of Flt/Sgt Cuthbert.

Survived
    Sgt J Marston I know that he came from Hathershaw, Oldham.
    I have had no success from writing to the local press.
    Sgt D R Carter
    W/O C E Loftus
    I do not know the Christian names of the three survivors or their service numbers. It is possible there will be a ceremony at Langham for the 70th anniversary of this crash in 2015 so I am keen to find relatives of all the crew if possible. .
    I believe there was an inquiry after this crash and would be interested in having a copy, but I do not know where to look.
    Any help would be much appreciated
    P. Harris

Thanks

Default Wellington MKXIII 524 Squadron

Sandra,
    I have just seen your entry and would like to be in touch about Sgt Cuthbert. In the family archives we have two photographs and I believe Sgt Cuthbert is in the group. I would like to send you a personal message, but am not quite sure how to do this. Can we try and do this? I will then tell you all that I know. The co-pilot, Flt Sgt Frederick Harris was my brother-in-law.
    Pat Harris

Thanks

Next Wednesday, 26th March, it will be 69 years since this Wellington crashed. I would like to appeal to anybody who has any knowledge of the whereabouts of the three survivors or their relatives to get in touch. If a ceremony takes place next year on the 70th anniversary it seems only right that they are represented.
    Sandra, if you see this, please get in touch.
    Pat Harris

Thanks

Pat

it would be great to see the photos with Len in - my Mum would love to see photos of her brother. It might be easier to send me a personal message to my email account sandra_burch@hotmail.com. Len was 21 when he died and had recently got engaged. His finance, Alyssa, remained a friend of my Mum's until Alyssa died in her 80s.

regards

Sandra

Quote Originally Posted by marshland View Post
    Sandra,
    I have just seen your entry and would like to be in touch about Sgt Cuthbert. In the family archives we have two photographs and I believe Sgt Cuthbert is in the group. I would like to send you a personal message, but am not quite sure how to do this. Can we try and do this? I will then tell you all that I know. The co-pilot, Flt Sgt Frederick Harris was my brother-in-law.
    Pat Harris

Thanks

In connection with the crash of Wellington MKX111 Serial No. NB824 at RAF Langham I am now searching for any relatives of LACW Ivy Cross BEM who drove her van across fields to to try and rescue the crew of this bomber. There will be a Commemoration of this crash in March next year and we would like to be able to invite any relatives of Ivy. For this, and other acts of bravery, she was awarded the BEM. I have a photograph of her and also the citation.
    Pat Harris