Thread: Landing Grounds

Thanks

Default Landing Grounds

Hi all,

I am not sure if there was a similar question in the past or not:
    Is available on the internet list of all or some LGs?

I would be interested in the list and mostly in particular L.G.211 where it was and if there is any connection with No. 70 OTU in 1944.

TIA

Pavel

Thanks

Pavel,

I'm not sure about the internet but there are useful listings in the following:

'RAF Flying Training and Support Units since 1912' by Sturtivant and Hamlin (2nd ed, pub by Air-Britain) See pp171-173

'RAF Squadrons' by Wg Cdr C G Jefford (2nd ed, pub by Airlife) See pp133-135

Both give number, Lat/Long reference, and name (where applicable) for each LG.

Apart from the LG info these really are books that no serious researcher should be without!

Errol

Thanks

Hi Errol, thanks for info. I want to buy the first one but it is quite expensive for me + postage:( but I am planning it for my birthday in June:-)

So good to know I can find it there

Pavel

BTW the second book is about squadron histories?

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Pavel

LG211 was at Fayid, Egypt

In 1944 No. 70 O.T.U. was at Shandur with Marauders under No. 203 Group

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Excellent, many thanks Eddie.

Pavel

Thanks

Default Various LGs

Hi, All,
    This LG problem (not London Gazette!!) seems to come up fairly regularly. Is there not a case for a relatively definitive list to be posted on The Useful Books & Research Material section of this Forum?? Having visited some of the Cyrenaican LGs many years ago it seemed that there was often no habitation that any strip could be named after. The vaious Gambuts were an exception! It seemed to me that they had just selected a few hundred yards/metres of relatively 'straight & flat', got the troops to clear the bigger rocks and bushes, and 'Lo & Behold', a Landing Ground or Airstrip. Many of these were already returning to nature by the mid-1950's when I was first there. Hours spent looking at Google Earth (in areas where I know an LG was located!) shows little - or nothing. LG Number, Name (if any), Lat/Lon, is all that is needed for those of us who do not have the vast libraries of "essential reference volumes" that many of you seem to have.
    Might be a help???
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Pavel,

"BTW the second book is about squadron histories?"

81 pages listing every RFC/RNAS/RAF Sqn from 1912 to date. Not histories as such but displaying in chronological order for each date of formation, every airfield operated from (including detachments) with date of move and aircraft type (down to mark number) and date introduced and date removed from the squadron, and date of disbandment. All this viewable at a glance without having to resort to numerous other works or websites.

41 pages listing more than 2500 airfields (and LGs) in alphabetical order cross referenced to the squadrons operating from each. Each also keyed to one of the 53 maps that make up another 81 pages of the book.

Numerous other useful sections complete the work.

The two books between them, then, cover 2500 airfields and about 8000 units of the RAF connected with flying. Pretty good value for money, I'd say. (Ignore Peter's 'vast libraries of "essential reference volumes" - a contradiction in terms by someone who obviously has not seen either volume!).

Errol

Thanks

Many thanks Errol,

it seems to me this book is I have heard about already so another book for my wanted list:-)

Pavel