Thread: 238 Squadron and F/Sgt. W T Allen.

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default 238 Squadron and F/Sgt. W T Allen.

On the 2/11/42, 1378857 Flight Sergeant William Thomas Allen (ORB records him as Sgt., CWGC as F/Sgt.) was shot down and killed, possibly by Hauptmann Homuth of I/JG27. F/Sgt Allen was flying Hurricane IIc HL888 of 238Squadron coded 'N'. F/Sgt Allen was likely killed shortly after 12:30 as I/JG27 was scrambled to help Stukas under attack from 238 Squadron at 12:18. This was Allen's third sortie of the day and it appears it was his 8th operational sortie with the Squadron. I am aware that a photograph of his grave appears in 'Missing Believed Killed' by Stuart Hadaway. The ORB mentions that a photograph of his grave appeared in a M E magazine. I am in fact now aware of two photo's of the grave. I have emailed the AHB about the possibility of obtaining the MREU report on F/Sgt. Allen should one exist.

Now to the questions.

1. Can anyone tell me whether F/Sgt Allen had any operational experience with any other Unit prior to his first operational sortie with 238 in mid October 1942?

2. I have a map reference of 895290, the location at which the Stukas the Squadron was detailed to intercept were making an attack. Has anyone any idea how I can pinpoint that location which I believe to be in the Alamein battle area?

3. Does anyone know of an equivalent to the ORB for I/JG27?

4. The only fighters claimed by the Luftwaffe at anywhere near the correct time were a Spitfire at 12:00 by Uffz Sigismund Dietz of 3/JG27 15km SE of Abd-el-Rahman and a Curtiss P36 by Hauptmann Gerhard Homuth of I/JG27 at 12:06 SE of Mumin Busaq. Can anyone pinpoint the location of Abd-el-Rahman and Mumin Busaq please?

5. Anyone have any idea which magazine the photograph of the grave of F/Sgt. Allen might have appeared in?

As always, any help whatsoever would be most gratefully received.

Regards,

Kevin Mears

Thanks

Just to add I'm also looking for the location of St.G 3 during the period which was, I believe, Qasaba. I/JG27 appears to have been based at Turbiya which is now Saniyat Turbiyah which is halfway between Alexandria and Mersa Matruh. Also interested in the location of LG's 154 and 172 which was where 238 was based during the period in which I'm interested.

Regards,

Kevin Mears

Thanks

Hello Kevin,

LG154 is approx 20 miles south of Alexandria and LG172 approx 15 miles west of LG154 (via Jefford's RAF Sqdns)

Ian

Thanks

Thanks for that, it is much appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin Mears