Thread: ATC Gliding Clubs

Thanks

Default ATC Gliding Clubs

Does anyone have any memories of learning to glide with the ATC at Kidbrooke - I think the ground was called the Nine Fields? This would be around 1939. Jean B

Thanks

Hi Jean

|f it was around 1939, then it would not have been an ATC Gliding School (not Club) as the ATC was not formed until 1941, it may have been an ADCC (Air Defence Cadet Corps) school. Unlike the ATC the ADCC was run by the Air League not the RAF.

Malcolm

Thanks

Hallo Malcolm, and thanks for your swift reply. I evidently got the date wrong; my brother definitely learned gliding near Kidbrooke before joining the RAF. I have just checked on his Service Record and see that he is marked as having been in the ADCC and the ATC in 1941 ... so it looks as though he must have joined the ATC when it was formed.

Do you happen to know if records were kept of ATC Gliding Schools, and, if so, where?

Thanks again. Best wishes Jean

Thanks

Hi Jean

The official Gliding Schools do not appear to have started being formed until 1942 so he may have learnt at a 'civilian' club at Kidbrooke, if so there would not be any RAF records.

The school at Kidbrooke was No 149 formed in November 1942.

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Malcolm - I have now established that my brother was in the ATC & ADCC No. 92 squadron from May 1939 - 1941. He was at school at St. Joseph`s Academy Blackheath SE3 - whether that has any relevance I don`t know.

Our eldest brother was also at the same school and in the same squadron before he joined the RAF.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again. Jean

Thanks

I hope this helps to pinpoint the location of the ATC gliding school,looks like it was not on the main RAF site

In WW-2, No 141 Gliding School for the Air Training Corps was on a different site altogether. It used the patch of ground, part of which survives as the Dursley Road ILEA Playing Fields. It was then much bigger, bordered by Broad Walk to the South, Woolacombe Road to the West, Wricklemarsh Road to the North, and the Western wall of Brook Hospital to the East. Since the war, parts of the site have been built on, creating Dursley Road, Holburne Road and the associated side-roads south of Wricklemarsh Road, plus Corelli Road and Kidbrooke School. The gliding school was in operation October 1942 to December 1945.

Thanks

Default Kidbrooke

G'day

No. 141 Gliding School was formed at Kidbrooke, London on the 25th of October, 1942. It relocated to R.A.F. Station Gravesend, Kent on the 1st of December, 1945. While here it maintained a detachment at R.A.F. Station Detling, Kent circa June 1946 to December, 1946.

No. 149 Gliding School was formed as a satellite of Kidbrooke in November, 1942. They used instructors from No. 141 Glider School and there Cadet I gliders.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Thanks bvs - the patch of ground you refer to was known by us as the `Nine Fields`. We lived in Woolacombe Road from around 1938 until 1949 ... and used to play up there. Of course, as you say, everything has been built up in the ensuing years. So glad that my memory wasn`t at fault there!

Thanks too Chris for the dates on which the Gliding School was formed ... I have taken due note!

Jean

Thanks

As your brother seems to have been in the ATC/ADCC prior to the setting up of the numbered Gliding schools, I wonder if the squadron was attached to the school and they had their own glider for training from the school grounds.

Malcolm

Thanks

Thought had crossed my mind Malcolm. Unfortunately St. Josephs Academy no longer exists as such, and I have not been able so far to find out whether archives have been kept, or whether there is an Old Boys Association.

Jean