Thread: Canadians who baled out on October 17th 1944

Thanks

Default Canadians who baled out on October 17th 1944

Hello,
    Can anyone help ?

Am looking for Members of the RCAF who baled out on October 17th 1944.
    Where can I find lists ( do they exist ?) of those who became members of the Caterpillar Club ?

Thanks for any guidance.
    Alex

Thanks

If you are prepared to give some context to the question it will increase your chances of receiving useful answers.
    Does this have anything to do with the 408 Squadron Halifax abandoned over the Lake District that day?

Ian Macdonald

Thanks

Hello,
    Thanks for your reply Ian.
    Nothing to do with any Halifax as far as I am aware-unless the members of the crew were RCAF and baled. Which would possibly add to the number of airmen I seek.
    Alex

Thanks

Strangely enough, there is a story in our local paper today, about the finding of the wreckage of 24 OTU Wellington LP610, on the sea bed off Falmouth, Cornwall. This aircraft was lost on the date you mention. 3 RCAF airmen lost, the other 3, possibly also RCAF, baled out. Only names of lost are quoted, as in Chorleys, but the 24 OTU ORB should have the other names, if anyone has a copy.

Thanks

Ah, always helps to give the full background to ones query!

The saved airmens names will be contained with the services files of the three dead RCAF airman unless the records are very poor.
    if the dead are F/O N C Dumont RCAF +, F/S R C Orrock RCAF +, Sgt E J Post RCAF +
    then the service files for the officer, N C Dumont ought to contain possibly Form 765's and /or Form 412 investigation reports.
    Would Chorley have included the names of the rescued men if they appeared in the ORB? Being an OTU its possible maybe that the names were not included.

First stop the ORB and then the service files.

The records of caterpiller club cannot be interogated in this manner by the Irvine parachute company, they in the past have told me ys they confirm the names I gave them are on the lists but due to secrecy covenent they agreed with the applicants at the time, no information can be released!
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello,

From 24 OTU Orb.

Wellington MK X LP610 (P/O Dumont) crashed near Falmouth posn. VX 3659. after aircraft became uncontrollable at 15000 ft. Captain ordered crew to bale out. Investigations being made.

No mention of names other than casualties and no clues from postings in or out in the months before and after.

Pete

Thanks

Hello,
    Yes my question was about Wellington X serial number LP610's crew. Sgt Post was not even 18 y.o.
    I had hoped that somewhere the names of the three (?) crew who baled may have been known or that the Units records were held by someone on the forum.
    Might try the local Maritime Museum, may have some rescue record if they came down in the sea ?
    I looked on TNA but could not find any F 1180's at all.
    Thanks , I hope that they survived the war.
    Alex
    Last edited by Alex Smart; 1st October 2013 at 14:58.