Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACRB RAF Eastchurch

Thanks

Default ACRB RAF Eastchurch

Gents,

Does anyone have any information on the above. I have discovered that the pilot I have been researching was sent there in August 1944.

How remarkable that the pilot I have spent months researching was sent to Eastchurch a place I lived for a number of years!

Regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hello,

ACRB = Air Crew Reselection Board. (also used A.C.R.S.B.)

Take a look at this file:

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp?B=5526287

See pp.23-34 of 51, in particular.

AUS424507 Sgt (Air Gnr.) William Brian CRAWFORD RAAF, was Medically Boarded in April 1944*. His case was reviewed in June 1944 by the ACRB, and it was decided to repatriate him to Australia.

* Crawford was severely injured on 11th November, 1943, when No.1654 HCU Lancaster I W4902 crashed at Hackthorn, Lincs. (BCL8/74).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 29th September 2013 at 02:23.

Thanks

Malcolm's rafweb says that the Air Crew Allocation Centre (5 Jun 1943 - May 1944), and the Air Crew Reselection Board (5 Jun 1943 - xxx xxxx) were located at RAF Eastchurch. There is also the continuing story that either one (or both) of these Units was also in receipt of the poor aircrew bu$$ers who couldn't take the pressure of Ops and had been declared LMF! Today, we would have 'counselling' - and all the other 'good things'. But in WW2 the mental conditions of aircrew (and, even, groundcrew?) who couldn't cope were treated a great deal more harshly than today! Can anybody put this 'bogey' to rest - or not?
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter,

A couple of years ago I was assisting John Fletcher, late of No. 101 Squadron, on an excellent article he wrote on LMF for Flight magazine. We used the 101 Sqn ORB and looked at some of the chaps posted out to Sheffield.
    While some disappeared, several came back to the squadron and completed their tours. The conclusion drawn was that this was the "court of last hope" and many of our subjects met the challenge and completed their tours.

The article itself is worth a read given that we were given full access to the personal papers and records by the daughter of a No.101 Sqn MUG, who was sent home LMF in February, 1944 after four ops. He would successfully fight the LMF charge back home and had his name restored.

Because "cowards" don't shoot down an FW190 on their first op, to Berlin, on one of the worst nights of the Battle of Berlin, do they?

If you'd like I can email you the text of John's article? I'd post it here but as it was in Flight magazine I do not think it would be appropriate to violate Tom Allett's copyright on the piece.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Dave,

What is the issue date of Flight magazine that containw the article, please?

Errol

Thanks

Hello Errol,

I have misplaced my copy. But from John's emails to myself and the daughter, I would say Spring 2012.

Check your email.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Dave, I'd be very keen to see the article too if at all possible.

Thanks buddy,

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Gent,

Just to clarify a point, I have not indicated that the NCO I am researching went LMF.

He undertook 14 operations during the period I am researching, he did have his fair share of abortive opís plus a mid air Collison with a 149 Squadron Stirling, however again I must stress that it is not my intention to besmirch the character of this NCO or tarnish him with LMF.

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Can I please also state - without fear or favour - that I had no intention of casting nasturtiums on any individual. But when I joined Air Ministry Met Office (in 1952) 'they' said that "the RAF lunatic asylum is at Wroughton, and the LMF blokes went to Eastchurch.". This was then repeated in my barrack block at NSA Square Bashing. Therefore (3 dots!) it had to have had some validity - coming from two different sources. My simple quest was either to confirm, or deny, those barrack block rumours. Having been in the NAAFI, the Corporal’s Club, the Sgt’s Mess, and the Officer’s Mess (both as a Civilian and in Uniform), I have seen the RAF through both ends of many telescopes.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Pete,

Please do not think I was pointing a finger at you my friend, I was not.

The family I am in contact with may see the posts and think, rightly or wrongly that their relation was LMF. I only want to provide the information that is available to me, I make no assumptions. If they wish to take it further and contact the various organisations to establish the reason behind their relative being sent to RAF Eastchurch then that's their decision.

From what information I have collated it is obvious this young NCO had a very traumatic operational career.

Kind regards

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~