Thread: Need help locating 1944 crash site

Thanks

Default Need help locating 1944 crash site

I am trying to pinpoint the precise location in which 608 Sqdn Mosquito KB360 from Downham Market crashed near Friday Bridge just south of Wisbech Cambridgeshire on November 10th 1944 at 22:05 hrs.

The RCAF pilot Flt Lt Stuart Webb J5122 was killed but the RAFVR navigator survived. Any info identifying the navigator would be also helpful. I only know he was a F/O Campbell.

Thanks

I have it as Maltmas Farm, but I have no note of where that came from. Possibly 'The Mosquito Crash Log'.

regards
    DaveW

Thanks

I grew up in them thar parts (I'm a Fen Slodger). If I was asked to bet some of your money then I would go for the soil/crop mark at TF 45977 03393 (52.608729 0.154388) which does not look natural (from my archaeological aerial foto interpreting training) - or the other ditto mark 149m / 163yds bearing 198 T from the GR. If the DC doesn't give the precise location then, if it's important, you may have to do all the good archaeo stuff (soil samples, geophys, etc), but with a mainly wooden a/c there's not going to be much left! But something caused that soil/crop mark.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 1st October 2013 at 13:37.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Apparently, the engine failed, so the bombs and tanks were jettisoned before the crash.
    Regards Mark

Thanks

I don't know how to thank you all enough !. Sterling work folks, beers on me ;-)

I was certainly on the right track. I did a Google Earth plot and using the Met for that night and calculating the T/O time of 21:55, crash time 22:05 and minimal airspeed for a Mossie I put it within just a few hundred yards West of the point given. Not a bad guess if I say so myself. I am deeply grateful for your help.

Pip pip..

Thanks

KB360 crashed approx 100 yards north of Maltmas Farm house in the trees to the rear of Edgely Cottage on Maltmas Drove. The pilot almost managed to land but in the dense fog hit the trees which lined a dike. It was found next morning upside down in the trees by Mr Bates and his young son Ron together with other locals. The village head mistress gave first aid to the pilot and navigator but the pilot F/Lt Doug Webb passed away. Navigator John Campbell was critically injured but survived. He was medically discharged in November 1945 retaining his rank of Flying Officer.