Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 431127 - Unaccounted Airwoman & Airmen - 27-11-1943

Thanks

Hi Tony

Longhoughton is the village nearest to the Admin site at RAF Boulmer (which was the airfield in the 40s) and houses the married quarters and a NAAFI (SPAR) Store. In the 40s there was a probably a railway station nearby (Longhoughton Station) on the East Coast main line but the nearest one now is at Alnmouth.

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks Malcolm

That explains it clearly. When they wrote their reports in the 40s they were unaware of the future changes.

Tony

Thanks

Tony,

Go to http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ and type Longhoughton into the search box. It's a village just west of Boulmer, although the railway station has long since disappeared.

Brian

Darn it, slow on the draw - again.

Thanks

Well done Brian!!! But thanks for the interest
    Tony

Thanks

WILLIAMSON, Maurice William Arthur - LAC - 1615821 - RAFVR - Terrell (Oakland) Memorial Park, Texas.

Recently found out this man is related to my wife. So far I have determined 3 men died in a mid-air collision at Terrell, 11.17am on 27 November. As well as Maurice a civilian instructor Clifton A Levan and USAAF Cadet William Howard Perry died. Flying training and administration at 1 BFTS was run by the Terrell Aviation School Ltd whilst RAF & USAAF staff provided ground schools. Both trainees had been on site for less than 2 months so should not have been going solo. Mr Levan was a Primary Flight instructor probably using Stearmans (Advanced training used AT 6 Harvards). I'm in touch with the RAF Museum at Terrell and a relative of William Perry so I hope to find out more.

Charles

Thanks

Hello

IRELAND, Leonard - LAC - 1120016 - the Statutory Deaths Register on the Scotland's People website records his name as Leonard Charles Ireland, and that he died ar 1.35 a.m. at 133 Balornock Road [the address today of New Stobhill Hospital], due to toxaemia and an acute intestinal obstruction.

Regards

Simon