Thread: Abbreviation Mystries Required

Thanks

Default Abbreviation Mystries Required

I have a log book of a Canadian airman who came here in 1942 to train at No. 4 Signals School. He trained on Dominie's and then Proctors, with the stamp at the end noting five ours on 'M.E. Aircraft' and four hours forty minutes on 'S.E. Aircraft'.

The times correspond with the aircraft, the first four flights on Dominies totalling five ours, and the remaining Proctor flights being the four hours forty.

Question is, what do 'M.E.' and 'S.E.' mean, The Dominie being the 'M.E.' the Proctor the 'S.E.'?

Thanks

My 'best' guess would be single engine and multi engine.
    Paul H

Thanks

I would agree with Paul, "M.E." and "S.E."; in fact these were standard abbreviations in WW2 Commonwealth air forces for Multi-engine and Single engine (aircraft), and this also corresponds with columns in Pilot'' log books, which must record flying hours in this way, along with night, cloud or instrument flying, etc. This is why it corresponds with Dominies (ME) and Proctors (SE).
    David D

Thanks

Thanks gents, now you've mentioned that I can see it. I'll add it to the 'pretty obvious' column!!

Much appreciated.