Thread: The Aircraft of RAF Spitalgate

Thanks

Default The Aircraft of RAF Spitalgate

Hello,
    I am trying to research the markings carried by various aircraft types flying from RAF Spitalgate (formerly Grantham) up until the end of 1945. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out what unit codes markings were carried by No 12 (P) AFU (September '44 - February '45) or 3 FTS Tiger Moths between April 1928 to September 1937?
    Thanks,
    Tom

Thanks

Hello Tom,

Geoff Gardiner wrote a small booklet on RAF Spittlegate and after he passed away I ended up with some of his material on the subject. I do not recall seeing any unit markings on Blenheims or Beauforts other than numerals. I suspect the Tigers will be similarly marked, but do not recall any photos in his collection. The Oxfords of the Blind Aprroach flight had a triangle on the fuselage.

I am hoping to expand Geoff's work so if you have anything to offer all help appreciated. I will also go through what I have in case I have missed anything and report later due to prior engagement tonight.

Regards,

Ian

Thanks

Hi Tom,
    A photo has appeared in a few publications of Tomtit J9782 coded ‘9’ of 3 FTS, in overall silver dope. Other examples from AB’s ‘Flying Training and Support Units include - Avro 504N K1059 ‘N’, Atlas K2521 ‘7’, Tutor K2502 ’9’, Tiger Moth K2575 ‘3’.
    12 (P)AFU examples include Beaufort II ML649 ‘M’. The unit seems to have applied individual numbers on it’s Blenheim V‘s, eg AZ959 ‘112’, and AZ259 ‘48’. The latter a/c had its individual number in white or very light grey aft of the roundel. A photo of this a/c appears in David Smith’s ‘Action Stations number 3’ possibly during the unit’s Woodvale detachment.
    Hope it’s of interest.
    Ian

Thanks

Hello Ian and Ian,
    Sorry it has taken me a while to reply; I am working overseas at the moment.
    Thanks for the info, I will have a look in AS3 when I return.
    Regards,
    Tom