Thread: AC2 J W Compton - Battle of Britain Clasp

Thanks

Default AC2 J W Compton - Battle of Britain Clasp

HI...first post on here although I have looked on here previously !

Whilst searching for something else - I came across reference to AC2 John W Compton 1157050 (25 sqn) being awarded the BoB clasp !?

I am assuming he was either a radar op/mechanic helping 25 sqn on AI equipped Blenheims or perhaps an Air Gunner - but all the early war A/G's I have seen reference to have been at least LAC's...
    AC2 seems a very low rank to have a BoB clasp although I know that there were a couple of 'Erk' DFM's.

Any help most appreciated - I am very intrigued !

rgds baz
    Last edited by bvs; 5th October 2013 at 04:04. Reason: DFC to DFM : )

Thanks

Hi Baz

According to "Men of the Battle of Britain" John William Compton joined 25 Sqn at North Weald in October 1940 and did qualify for the BofB Clasp. No further details there however.

25 Squadron was already working up with AI equiped Blenheim If night fighters prior to the war with the help of AMRE (Air Ministry Research Establishment later renamed TRE) at Martlesham Heath and later Dundee.
    Yes, aircrew were Sergeants or above but in this case there was a shortage of suitable people to operate the radar sets. Many Air Gunners either didn't want to change or were unsuitable for the new very different role. As a result volunteers were taken from suitable ground staff and also from outside the Air Force completely. One Cambridge scientist became a very successful night fighter operative by this means and his experience later was put to tremendous use in research and practical use of new equipment.
    So it would appear likely that your man was doing this and eligible for the clasp. The rank system eventually caught up with these guys, and indeed Men of BoB lists his rank as Sergeant. But at the time the rank you quote was no doubt correct as these huge anommalies did exist for some time.
    25 Sqn seems to have been involved in two succesful combats with the Blenheim If but these were before October 1940. 25 started to receive Beaufighter I from September 1940
    Last edited by PeterColwill; 4th October 2013 at 19:35.

Thanks

Thank you Peter
    My first instinct was radar op/mechanic,I am no expert on WW2 medals but in JW Comptons case I assume that he would also have the 1939/45 star ...ie he would need something to 'clasp' it to if you see what I mean.
    Wonder if he survived ?

Thanks baz

Thanks

Thanks Baz,

Not very good about medals but I understand that yes the BofB clasp was worn on the 39-45 Star.
    Perhaps someone else will come up with where he went? Would be interesting.
    cheers
    Peter

Thanks

Hi Peter
    I actually stumbled on his name when I was checking to see if 'Timbertoes' Carlin had been awarded the BoB clasp and there was John Comptons name on the other side of the page,his Rank just jumped out at me !

cheers baz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bvs View Post
    HI...first post on here although I have looked on here previously !

Whilst searching for something else - I came across reference to AC2 John W Compton 1157050 (25 sqn) being awarded the BoB clasp !?

I am assuming he was either a radar op/mechanic helping 25 sqn on AI equipped Blenheims or perhaps an Air Gunner - but all the early war A/G's I have seen reference to have been at least LAC's...
    AC2 seems a very low rank to have a BoB clasp although I know that there were a couple of 'Erk' DFM's.

Any help most appreciated - I am very intrigued !

rgds baz
    I know it's been years since you posted this but I ran across it this evening. I knew John (Jack/Dizzy) Compton in the 70's. In fact, he was a great friend until we drifted apart in the 80's. He flew throughout the entire war and then towards the end the south of France by accident. He was confused with another J Compton and was transferred to the south of France as an administrator.

I used to go with him to the Royal Military Club in Toronto where he was looked upon as a demi-god. In the mid-eighties after the death of his wife, he moved back to England with his handicapped son. Apparently, he bought a pub (which would have suited Jack perfectly.)

Thanks

Thanks missymouse - do you have any details about his RAF career ?

rgds baz

Thanks

I have hazy memories of time spent some 45 years ago. He did tell me he was mixed up with another Compton and finished the war in the south of France..

Thanks

Thanks MM
    From the Battle of Britain London Monument website...

John William Compton enlisted in the RAF for the duration of hostilities in June 1940 as an Aircrafthand. He went on a radar course at Yatesbury after which he was posted to 25 Squadron at North Weald about 10th October 1940.

He flew his first operational sortie on the 21st and been promoted to Sergeant by 7th November 1940.