Thread: 431201 - Unaccounted Airmen - 1-12-1943

Thanks

Default 431201 - Unaccounted Airmen - 1-12-1943

Hello,

431201 - Unaccounted Airmen - 1-12-1943

From Henk's list -
    UK
    COOMBES, Jack Arthur - Sgt (Wop/A/G) - 1398910 - RAFVR - Alperton, Middlesex. [ BUT 01/09/1943 ? ].
    JEFFERSON, Kenneth Harrison - F/S (Pilot) - 1335188 - RAFVR - Kingsbury (St. Andrew), Middlesex.
    LANGHAM, Frank - Sgt - 518098 - RAF - Derby (Normanton), Derbyshire.

From CWGC & Geoff's sites -

UK
    HEBDITCH, John Bernard - Sgt (Pilot) - 1578071 - RAFVR - North Curry (SS. Peter & Paul), Sommerset.
    WILSON, Victor Gordon - Sgt (Pilot) - 1473147 - RAFVR - Grantham, Lincolnshire.

ZIMBABWE
    WHICHELLO, Edmund John - F/L - 110309 - RAFVR - Bulawayo (Athlone), Zimbabwe.

Alex

Thanks

Jack Arthur Coombes name appears in Scotland, registered in Minigaff district, Kirkcudbright.
    And his death is recorded as 1 Sep 1943 on the Wills Calenders - I'll post on to that days thread. Keep the discussion to there.
    Ah, he was on Anson N5032 with S A Bussey
    http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co...tlandn5032.htm

Jefferson is registered in Chipping Norton district, and his name is on DOAS lists 348
    Frank Langham in Derby District, Derby - can't see the name in Flight magazine

Hebditch and Wilson both seem to be registered in Scotland, maybe died out of Montrose. Both KOAS

Whichello's Unit seems to be 25 EFTS, print is a bit dirty on the page. I can't see him in Flight magazine or Aeroplane.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 10th October 2013 at 20:56.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello,

Not sure if Henk covered the following loss:

1-12-1943
    No.1693 Flight, Wick.
    Anson I MG510

Detailed to carry out low-level bombing practice on a target in Sinclair Bay, Scotland. After dropping a practice bomb from a height of 50 feet, the aircraft was seen to pull up to about 200 feet, and attempt to turn back onto the target. A high G stall occurred on the turn, and the aircraft crashed into the sea.

The area was searched by ASR launches and a Walrus aircraft but apart from aircraft wreckage, no survivors were found.

J/13728 F/O (Pilot) Laurence Edward CHARNAUD RCAF +
    AUS417169 F/Sgt (Nav./B) David Lindsay FARNDELL RAAF +
    R/128841 F/Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) Andrew WILSON RCAF +
    R/128725 F/Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) Bernard John YARD RCAF +
    10601380 T/Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) Frederick E L STILWELL USAAC + (of Morrow County, Oregon).

Commonwealth crew commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial. Stilwell memorialized at the Cambridge American Cemetery, Cambridge.

Per: Alan Storr (mostly).

Col.

Thanks

Hebditch and Wilson were killed whilst flying in Oxford, X7281 of No 2 FIS, which crashed into the Hill of Morphie at Broomhall near St Cyrus.

Malcolm

Thanks

Sgt Victor Wilson was my Uncle. There is a little more information from him taken from the flight log which still resides in the little museum at Montrose. Please reply if interested in knowing more.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm_raf View Post
    Hebditch and Wilson were killed whilst flying in Oxford, X7281 of No 2 FIS, which crashed into the Hill of Morphie at Broomhall near St Cyrus.

Malcolm

Thanks

We are certainly interested, please add what ever you can to the thread.

and there is no need to reply to this message by quoting it, itll be clear what your replying to.

thanks for joining.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Bernard John Yard Service # R/128725

Good Morning. I am the nephew of the above listed Airman. I am also his namesake. I thank you for the information listed below. This is the first detailed description of his final flight that I have been able to find. I would like to have a picture of my Uncle and wonder if there is any identification picture, or air crew picture that I might see. Thank you in advance for any help you may give to my inquiry. Sincerely, B.J. (Jack) Yard

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post
    Hello,

Not sure if Henk covered the following loss:

1-12-1943
    No.1693 Flight, Wick.
    Anson I MG510

Detailed to carry out low-level bombing practice on a target in Sinclair Bay, Scotland. After dropping a practice bomb from a height of 50 feet, the aircraft was seen to pull up to about 200 feet, and attempt to turn back onto the target. A high G stall occurred on the turn, and the aircraft crashed into the sea.

The area was searched by ASR launches and a Walrus aircraft but apart from aircraft wreckage, no survivors were found.

J/13728 F/O (Pilot) Laurence Edward CHARNAUD RCAF +
    AUS417169 F/Sgt (Nav./B) David Lindsay FARNDELL RAAF +
    R/128841 F/Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) Andrew WILSON RCAF +
    R/128725 F/Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) Bernard John YARD RCAF +
    10601380 T/Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) Frederick E L STILWELL USAAC + (of Morrow County, Oregon).

Commonwealth crew commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial. Stilwell memorialized at the Cambridge American Cemetery, Cambridge.

Per: Alan Storr (mostly).

Col.

Thanks

Hello

JEFFERSON, Kenneth Harrison - F/S (Pilot) - 1335188 - the National Probate Calendar records that he died at "Burwood Chipping Norton-road Chipping Norton." Not sure if that's meant to read Burwood, Chipping Norton Road, or the Burwood [to] Chipping Norton road...!

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 20th August 2018 at 15:04.