Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 431202 - Unaccounted Airmen - 2-12-1943

Thanks

Message for COL BRUGGY. Can you recall where you found the following details that Suttor was on the Oronsay please?

From your post on 4th Oct 2013. Re: Wellington LB137.

* F/Sgt Suttor RAAF, was aboard the "Oronsay" when it was torpedoed and sunk by the Italian submarine, "Archimede", off the west coast of Africa on 9-10-1942. Along with other personnel, he was picked up by the Vichy French Sloop, "Dumont D'Eurville", and taken into Dakar and interned. He was eventually released after the "Torch" landings, and later continued his journey to the UK.

I`m a bit confused as record for Victor Francis Suttor AUS412750 says he embarked on 28th March 1942. Regards Dave

Thanks

Hello Dave,

Must admit I made an error in originally naming AUS412750 F/Sgt Victor Francis SUTTOR RAAF as being aboard the "Oronsay". The Australian airman aboard the "Oronsay", was in fact, AUS411969 P/O John Bligh SUTTOR RAAF, who was later awarded a DFC for services with No.16 (PR) Sqn RAF. John Bligh SUTTOR RAAF was released by Allied Forces on 15-12-1942, and transported from Freetown to the UK on 12-2-1943.

I realized my mistake on reading the following book:

Wingless:A Biographical Index of Australian Airmen Detained in Wartime.
    Roberts,T.V.(Dr.)
    Ballarat:Author,2011
    p.455.

Never got around to correcting it on the forum. I did make mention of J. B. Suttor in an earlier posting: http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...K281&styleid=2

Thanks for pointing out the error, it now stands corrected on the forum.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 8th October 2018 at 07:41.

Thanks

Hi Col,

Thanks for clearing that up.

Glad I mentioned it or it would have gone down in error in my forthcoming book on Kintyre aircraft.

Regards
    Dave