Thread: WW2 time scale

Thanks

Default WW2 time scale

After many years of searching, I have this morning received my fathers death certificate from the GRO Overseas Section, dad was killed on 13 August 1942 and has no known grave. The heading on the certificate reads as follows.....

Return of Air Force Personnel Killed in Action or who have died while on Service Abroad In the War of 3rd September 1939 -30th June 1948.

Can anyone please explain why the time scale up to 30th June 1948 is used in covering WW2 losses?

Regards
    Peter

Thanks

Peter, Hi,
    The End Date of 30 Jun 48 for WW2 casualties is to take into account those who suffered wounds, injuries, or maltreatment, and who subsequently died after hostilities had ceased. And in the opinions of the Coroner, Medics, and the Registrar, that death could be directly attributable to war service. Just why 30 Jun 48 was chosen as a cut-off date I do not know. CWGC or one the Forum's experts probably will.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 18th April 2008 at 13:25.

Thanks

Thanks Peter,

Just got off the phone to the GRO and they tell me much the same as you have posted. Another mystery solved.

Regards
    Peter