Thread: Effect of Window on H2S

Thanks

Default Effect of Window on H2S

I have examined numerous wartime records on the use of H2S and I realize I have not found any comment or discussion on the effect of Window on the performance of H2S. H2S was the primary tool for the navigation team for determining “fixes” of aircraft on deep penetration raids when they were outside of Gee range. However it would seem to me that Window would have a profound effect on the signal in the vicinity of the aircraft. The only comment that I have seen on this was in the ORB of an Intruder Mosquito crew who commented they encountered a Ju.88 over the target (Dessau) but lost him “in the tube” in the mass of bombers below. No comment about Window.

Chaffe is Chaffe. From my experience with marine radar systems, window must have impacted all radar systems.

Has anyone encountered any comments in the records on this possibility?

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 15th September 2021 at 19:15.

Thanks

Default Re: Effect of Window on H2S

Window was cut to specific lengths to target the wavelengths of German radars. There were all earlier-generation technology not the centimetric radar used by H2S and RAF night fighters in this period. I'm no expert on the subject, but chaff is not just chaff but was and is sized to be used in a specific manner. It is possible that the centimetric radars could see through Window.

Thanks

Yes. Window was sized for specific radars, but that does not mean it won’t affect other radars. H2S was a first generation airborne radar and was not a high quality technology. There were considerable issues with it.

My question remains: has anyone found commentary in the wartime documents about the influence of window on H2S, and also AI radar on Mosquito a/c?

I have a 48” open array radar on my boat and the “anti clutter” filtering for rain and sea state are not perfect. I’m pretty certain my radar would be completely snowed up if I encountered window at any size. FWIW, overhead aircraft are strong targets on marine radar.

Jim

Thanks

Jim,
    Ian The Radar is the bloke that will probably be able to answer your question.
    We tried (in the 1970's, under field (SPPTA) conditions) to 'invent' a mobile met radiosonde kit in 38 Grp Tac Comms Wing. It worked technically, but we had no means of transferring the response frequencies to 'Met' numbers. It also 'played hell' with the TacATC a/f radar (our 50x50cm sheet of bacofoil - as a reflector - looked very large, and upset a lot of the parameters!!).
    Why don't you get one of these kids balloons gas canisters and release a number of balloons (off your boat) - each with a different length of 'chaff/duppel' hung underneath, and see what results you get?
    Could be good fun?
    HTH - but I refuse to admit to responsibility!!
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 17th September 2021 at 16:20.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!