Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: RAF Casualty Packs 1939-45 Public Access

Thanks

Default Re: RAF Casualty Packs 1939-45 Public Access

Hi Pete, this is fascinating news, HOWEVER, please tell me and others with the same question before I click on the 'buy now', this is about the Air 81/casualty packs, does it refer to the files that have yet to be released, that we have been waiting to see for years, or just the stuff that has already been released ????? How much info is in there ? Anything you can tell us about it would be of great benefit to everyone here because the information on it so far is very sparse. Thanks Pete.
    Andrew

Thanks

I've gone ahead and bought it anyways based on the contents viewable from the 'look inside' option on the Amazon link. Looks interesting, thanks for heads-up. It seems to be a guide to researching the files, as opposed to actual files. As one thing leads to another, while browsing that book I came across this also new Bomber Command publication which looks quite interesting also:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bomber-Comm...REQE1WRWFPM9PH
    Andrew

Thanks

The book does deal with files still closed and does have some photos of some documents which must be within those files related to : Mosquito NS654 crewed by F/O Holland and Bloomfield lost on 27 Oct 1944, crews of 207 and 467 Sqdn Lancs lost on 15/16 July 1944, etc. Sergt Houliston of 103 Sqdn on 14 April 1943, etc

The book explains the Air Ministry casualty processes and procedures through the Air 81 files, explaining what the different forms were, illustrating them in use, the presumption of death system, the MREU search processes, KE file material from German records and its use by MREU, burial records, exhumations, registrations and reburials, photos of some of the men concerned, , aids to indentification, explaining personal effects processes, liaison/co-op with other authorities, next of kin letters, Far East, remains recovered post-1952 and a brief section on the question over using DNA.

I am using the book as an overview to Air 81 and consider it very good as I will be investing in the copying of a lot of files for 630 and 57 Squadron crews - if I'd wanted to check out fates of particular crews I'd not be buying it.

Book quality, image quality, all first class
    Last edited by PeteS; 28th December 2020 at 13:54.

Thanks

Thanks for the come-back Pete, as I said I've bought it anyway based on the look-see. Your comment "if I'd wanted to check out fates of particular crews I'd not be buying it", is important as that was my initial thinking when I saw about the book, I thought all the Air 81 files published in a book. Wishful thinking ! Maybe 'they' will get their fingers out and publish the files just like they have done with everything else. I posted about these two books on the Bomber Command group after your heads-up and it has generated quite a discussion. Not least that the other book is advertised at 38 at Amazon but is available at half the price elsewhere.
    Andrew

Thanks

Hi Cyflyer1
    I don't think you'd ever find all of Air 81 in a book, there must be millions of pages. I have copies of several early files which are not too fat but one which I have, a Wellington crew file is well over 100 pages just for the one crew.
    cheers PeteS

Thanks

Hi Pete, and season's greetings to you, and all our fellow forum friends. I am actually reading through the book as we speak, just put it down for a moments to post here. It is a fascinating read and aimed at the process of compiling the Air 81 files. It is definately worth the purchase. I am beginning to understand maybe the reason for the delay in releasing these files, as sometimes the post mortum details are highly detailed and gruesome, and as the author states, were never intended to by released to the public. Anyone even remotely interested in researching personnel files at TNA will find this a useful insight.
    Andrew