Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: RAF Casualty Packs 1939-45 Public Access

Thanks

Paul, I took the liberty of copying the tables into the front end wordpress files.. to make it a bit easier to load and read. cleaned htem up as well

http://www.rafcommands.com/archives/...39-45-catalog/

In 2012 the MoD undertook a consultation into the views of interested parties in releasing RAF Casualty Packs from the period 1939 to 1945 to public access at The National Archives. Please note the extent is limited to FB or Battle losses, FA or Accident Losses are excluded from the current consultation.
    The 1500 or so Casualty Packs have been organised in sets of 300 records each by Paul McMillan which can be accessed via the following links.
    Part1 | Part2 | Part3 | Part4 | Part5

Thanks

Jagan, no problem do you want the Admiralty ones in Excel as well ?

Thanks

Default Missing Casualty Packs / P.4. (Cas) Branch Casualty Files, in AIR 81!!

It appears that only "selected" Casualty Packs have been released in AIR 81.

They have been indexed into the AIR 81 series, in order of their original Air Ministry Casualty Branch 'P' [Personal] file reference numbers, nothing wrong with that.

However, I see that there are gaps in the 'P' file numbers, indicating that some files are withheld, including the Whitley in which my Grandfather was an Air Observer, as the numbers are now past the original 'P' file reference.

What Public Access!! The selection process allowed by TNA to Government Departments, allows stuff to be withheld!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 8th December 2014 at 14:39.

Thanks

Has anyone been to Kew recently and seen what date they have got up to?
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Hello James

The TNA Catalogue currently indicates the last number is AIR 81/1488 relating to 16th August 1940, being Air Ministry P.4. (Cas) Branch, Casualty file No. P 353975/40.

Two files before is AIR 81/1486 for 17th August 1940.

The files are being listed on TNA catalogue in the order of their original P file reference numbers (and not date order). Some files are still withheld.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 9th December 2014 at 20:50.

Thanks

hello,

I was there 2 weeks ago, and used the list kindly provided by Paul here to prepare my orders. A quick check a few seconds ago reveals that the files opened to the public are still limited to AIR 81/1488 (16th August 1940).

HTH

Joss

Thanks

hello,

I was there 2 weeks ago, and used the list kindly provided by Paul here to prepare my orders. A quick check a few seconds ago reveals that the files opened to the public are still limited to AIR 81/1488 (16th August 1940).

HTH

Joss

Thanks

Dear Mark and Joss
    Thank you for your very quick replies. Mark, I was wondering if it may be worth asking the AHB what has happened to the missing files. Potentially they could contain very sensitive information rather than secret.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Hello James

I cannot go back to the AHB because we took the Information Commissioner to a First-Tier Tribunal in 2009 and they stated that the Court of Inquiry could not be found.

The MoD became a Joinder Party to the Information Commissioner (IC) and the IC Solicitor. The next thing it appeared one of the parties appointed London Solicitors, who it seemed act as Treasury Solicitors for the British Government.

The next thing, I was up against THREE Solicitors, although the Judge admired my tenacity, I could not access anything further. Although the MoD stated they could not prove it had been destroyed, they stated that they were unable to find the Court of Inquiry and the Judge accepted that and gave an 'On the Balance of Probabilities' decision.

I felt like an ant, in front of one of those mighty multi wheeled machines, that they move houses with.

They are not releasing all the files at the moment, the AIR 81 release does not apply to the files being retained by the Department. Whilst some are missing in the AIR 81 release, the files are not actually missing, but being retained for a further period it seems.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 10th December 2014 at 22:14.

Thanks

Dear Mark
    Wow! If we do not hear from you for a while, are we to assume that you have been removed to a secret government establishment somewhere. Clearly they are withholding the file, and they do not want you to see it, for whatever reason. The last time I contacted the AHB I never got a reply, should I try again or will I be spending Christmas in one of Her Majesties 'Hotels'?
    A few years ago an MOD archive sent me a photograph that was 'strictly for personal use only' and I was told that if they found the image on an web site or in any book in the next 50 years, I would feel the full weight of the MOD upon me. Needless to say it is for family viewing only.
    Good luck with the search.
    James