Thread: Missing Lancaster III W5000 QR - B

Thanks

Default Missing Lancaster III W5000 QR - B

Hello

I have just returned from a trip to Hamburg where I met a German gentleman who showed me an unidentified crash site in the meadows of the River Este south of Buxtehude. We went out with a metal detector and found a few bits of wreckage. I need to clean these and see if they can be identified. In addition I was given a big cardboard box also full of wreckage and some with all sorts of serial numbers. I even have a 303 round which is in 2 parts so no longer lethal. From a process of elimination we have discovered that the aircraft crashed on the raid of 2/3 August 1943. Is there any body that could help me to try to identify the aircraft from the info I have and from the parts? I only have a small amount compared to what my friend has. If I can get a contact to help me I will send photos and the reference numbers. The aircraft suffered a catastrophic impact and what remains including the crew is some feet under the ground. There is very little chance of retrieving the bulk of the aircraft. The pieces I have were found just below the surface in an area within around 400 yards from the crater. Thanks Tony

Thanks

Tony,
    I suspect that the serials on the parts you have, will only tell you the type of aircraft at the crashsite. You would need something that would indentify the individual aircraft, for example, possibly via engine plate numbers. As someone, who has an interest in 61sqdn, can i ask why, because of your post heading, you think it may be W5000. Something that also concerns me, is that you state, that the parts you have, are from just below the surface, which points to, in all respects, the disturbance of a potential war grave, by whoever dug them out initially.
    Alan.

Thanks

Alan

PM sent
    Tony