Thread: Ldg. Acw. Jean Penelope Metherell

Thanks

Default Ldg. Acw. Jean Penelope Metherell

Ldg. Acw. Jean Penelope Metherell, 36 Squadron R.A.F. is commemorated on Panel 278 Runnymede Memorial. However, there is a family grave in St. Michael’s Churchyard, Lesnewth, Cornwall on which she is commemorated quoting
    “LOST ON ACTIVE SERVICE MARCH 8th 1945”. Suggesting that she is not buried in that grave.

Can anyone advise, if she was ‘LOST’, if so where and how?

I note that at that time, until disbandment 4th June 1945, 36 Sqdn. RAF was located at Benbecula on U Boat surveillance.

Grateful for any assistance

Tony

Thanks

Always worth doing a Google search "site:www.rafcommands.com" to see what the extensive archives of the site hold.

In this case one of the previous threads has just been converted by Jagan

http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/12683.php

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks Ross

I had my suspicions about a lost flight but what, I wonder, would a WAAF be doing on the flight.

Tony

Thanks

The hints are in the thread, squadron move, she was a passenger. Probably got an oppertunity for a spin and it went bad.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

A little more research - Jean Metherell's hometown was Boscastle, Cornwall which is only 37 miles, as the crow flies, from Chivenor, Devon so was she hitching an unauthorised return trip from a visit home?

Tony

Thanks

Wellington XIII LB915 ‘V’ of 36 Squadron took off from Chivenor at 11.28am on a squadron move to Benbecula. With fuel duration of 7.5 hours for an anticipated flight of three hours the aircraft was last heard of on W/T at 15.05. A search was generated involving two ASR Warwicks from Lossiemouth and Wellington ‘N’ of 19 OTU based at Kinloss. At the time of the aircraft’s disappearance it was believed that it was over The Minch.

Yes, Jean was a passenger on the aircraft moving to the new base at Benbecula.

W/o John Edgar Betton RAF (1427394) was the pilot and eight lives were lost on the flight.

36 Squadron was based at Benbecula from 1 March 1945 until disbanded on 4 June 1945. The base was used by Coastal Command.

I hope that helps and I apologise for not answering sooner but I have just replaced my old computer!

Regards
    Malcolm Macdonald

Thanks

Thanks Malcolm

I appreciate your problem I changed my computer in Janiary.

Tony