Thread: 120776 Flight Lieutenant Charles Brand Black DFC.

Thanks

Default 120776 Flight Lieutenant Charles Brand Black DFC.

The above named Officer was my first cousin, and served with No 6 Squadron RAF, IN N. Africa and the Balkans.
    I know when he received his DFC, 8 September 1944, what I am trying to find out is what he was awarded his DFC for. Would there have been a citation issued and is it possible to get hold of a copy.
    Any help or information you can give would be very welcome, I am trying a number of organisations to find out as much as I can about him.
    After the war, Charles returned to Kenya, and became a member of the Kenya Regiment, taking part in ops against the Mau Mau, he also became one of the founder pilots of East African Airways.
    I look forward to hearing from you, and many thanks.
    John193

Thanks

The London Gazette which announced the DFC (without citation) to F/L Charles Brand Black, No.6 Squadron, also reported a DFM (without citation) to Flight Sergeant Hedley Robert Lyle, No.6 Squadron. However, Ian Tavender (The Distinguished Flying Medal Register for the Second World War) found a detailed recommendation for Lyle's DFM in AIR 2/9637 of the British National Archives, Kew, and I venture to say that the recommendation for Black's DFC is in the same file.

Thanks

Thank you, I appreciate the advice very much. I will find out if I can do a BNA search on line. Again many thanks.