Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Searching for information on my Dad

Thanks

Default Searching for information on my Dad

Stanley Leonard Maurice Cox
    This is my first time posting a thread. My Dad was in the Royal Airforce during WW2. He won the DFM. My Dad passed away on 26 November 1992. He was born in Ealing on 14 March 1922. My Dad's DFM medal was stolen years ago and I can't find his service number, so have no information about him. Please, if someone could help me, I would appreciate it so much.

Thanks

Hi,

From AIR 78/38 which can be downloaded for free online from The National Archives

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Ross

Forgive me for being completely ignorant, but how to I go about downloading from the National Archives? Do I input my Dad's name? The number that you sent me, is that his service number? I am sorry, I have no idea what to do!
    Thank you so, so much for your help, I appreciate it more than you know.

Regards
    Vivienne

Thanks

Hello Vivienne

Try the link
    http://discovery.nationalarchives.go..._q=AIR+78%2F38

To get a Cox surname you will have to download the whole surname range between Cottonden to Crabb, 2 pdf files of about 256Mb, then scroll down the downloaded pdfs and look for his name.

Mark

Thanks

Thank you so much Mark, I am going to try that right now. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Thanks

Vivienne,
    I have looked through a copy of the DFM Register by Ian Tavender and can find no trace of your father's name as a recipient of the DFM. Likewise his service number throws up no hits in the London Gazette (which would announce the award). Are you sure it was the DFM he got?

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

I can't make head nor tail of the information in that Air78 reference, what it is, or how the blazes to use it. Now if I, as a pretty experienced researcher, can't make head nor tail of it, I'm not sure how we can expect Vivienne to do anything with it!! Granted I only looked at the preview, but if that is indicative of what is in the rest of the file then it aint gonna tell the poor girl very much at all about her Dad!! Can anyone help her just a wee bit more?

As an aside, and just in case there was some confusion as to which award he received, I have checked the DFC Register by Carter and carter, and there's nothing in there. Similiarly, Hearns' DSO Register reveals nothing. Vivienne, you may want to write to the MOD to ascertain what his medal entitlement was. Details can be found at the following page: -

https://www.gov.uk/the-ministry-of-defence-medal-office

Hope that helps a little!!
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Hi Greg

Yes, you are quite correct, couldn't make head nor tail of the information!! It is strange, I have spoken to my sister, who lives in Cape Town South Africa and she clearly remembers Dad having mentioned the DFM. Gosh, maybe he didn't win it then. I have sent an email through to the MOD and will wait to hear back from them, as soon as I do, I will you know. I do have the correct service number for Dad do I?

Thank you Greg and to Johnny, for taking the time to look into this for me, I really do appreciate it.

Thanks

Vivienne

Just to add to Greg's post, if you haven't done so already, you should apply for a copy of his service record. The procedure is documented at: https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...ervice-records.

There are rules relating to what information will be released to whom so you will need to ensure you follow the next of kin procedures to get the maximum amount of information. There is a charge for the service and there is a long lead time for delivery (it was 9 to 12 months, but that time may have been reduced).

Hope this helps (and good luck with your search)

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Good suggestion Pete - the details of where to apply for her dad's service record completely slipped my mind!! I blame the Welsh apple juice and a slightly numb brain from staring at ORBs for too long this evening.... :)
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945