Thread: S/Ldr John Walmisley, Rhodesian in the RAF

Thanks

Default S/Ldr John Walmisley, Rhodesian in the RAF

Hello all. I'm researching a pilot named John Walmisley 80055 who was with 237 (Rhodesia) squadron. I have found all of his promotions and his MiD in the London Gazette archives, and a photo of him with the squadron in Corsica. I was wondering if anyone could help me unearth any further information? I'd love his service record, but he died in 1995, so I don't think it qualifies as being old enough to pester the national archives for a copy. I'd appreciate anything, including excerpts from the 237 ORB that mention him

Thanks!

Mike

Thanks

[QUOTE=RCAF_Mike;92289]Hello all. I'm researching a pilot named John Walmisley 80055 who was with 237 (Rhodesia) squadron. I have found all of his promotions and his MiD in the London Gazette archives, and a photo of him with the squadron in Corsica. I was wondering if anyone could help me unearth any further information? I'd love his service record, but he died in 1995, so I don't think it qualifies as being old enough to pester the national archives for a copy. I'd appreciate anything, including excerpts from the 237 ORB that mention him

Thanks!

Mike

Hi Mike, my grandad was an LAC in this Squadron and i have 2 photos of Spits damaged after a raid on Poretta , Corsica.

Thanks

Geoff,
    My 14 S Rhodesia Air Force Met Forecasters all came in the Block 80003-80496 (at least that's their hi/lo numbers). This may be one of the few occasions where the Officers' Commissioned Numbers were in an actual allocated Block. Most of my guys Reverted to SRAF after WW2. You may be able to unearth something by fossicking in that Block in the LG. S Rhodesia became Zimbabwe. The political/financial upheavals in that country make it unlikely that you will be able to get much info from official sources. BUT, I had very much the same problem in the Republic of S Africa (RSA) but I was lucky enough to get hold (via t'internet) of an unofficial RSA Graves Find/Registration society. Liz Eshmade (bless her cotton socks), of that society, rarely knew the answer(s) to my questions. BUT she knew who was likely to know in the new RSA official circles - and when to approach/not-approach (equally important) the person/dept.
    S'not what you know, but who you know!!
    Best I can do!
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 23rd January 2018 at 15:36. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello Mike (If you're still about),

Might I suggest you get hold of the following book:

A Pride of Eagles The Definitive History of the Rhodesian Air Force 1920-1980.
    Salt,Beryl.
    Weltevredenpark:Covos Day Books,2001.
    ISBN 0-620-23759-7

Make sure you get this edition of the book and not the later Helion (2015), reprint. You will probably need to get it through an inter-library loan, or some such (the book weighs a ton!).

You will find much on Walmisley, including the very early days of 237 Squadron*. The book also has several nice photos of him. He is mentioned on the following pages: 55, 56, 73, 159, 161, 175, 213, 214, 217, 219, 226 , 482 & 861.

You seem to be under the impression that Walmisley was only mentioned once, in fact, he received a mention twice:

1/ LG: 24/9/41 p.5573 - F/O - Distinguished Service.
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/5573 (see also p.5569)

2/ LG: 8/6/44 p.2619 - A/S/L - King's Birthday Honours List.
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/2619 (see also p.2613)

* ie, At dawn on Tuesday 18th June (1940), the Kings African Rifles , supported by No.237 Squadron mounted an attack across the Italian Somaliland frontier on the post of El Wak. The enemy, taken by surprise, withdrew but soon regrouped and counter-attacked forcing the British troops to pull back across the border, leaving the Italian fort in flames. During this operation an aircraft (Audax I) K7546 of 'A' Flight flying low to deliver a message was holed in the radiator and the pilot was forced to land when the engine seized. Fortunately Flying officer John Walmisely managed to bring the aircraft down on the British side of the border and neither he nor his gunner, Aircraftman Marshal was injured. (p.56) - See also, Christopher Shore's "Dust Clouds in the Middle East, pp.23 & 133 for mentions).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 24th January 2018 at 03:20.