Thread: F/Sgt Samuel Hat Porteous (RAFVR 1059847) + Killed 14th December 1942 (14 Squadron)

Thanks

Default F/Sgt Samuel Hat Porteous (RAFVR 1059847) + Killed 14th December 1942 (14 Squadron)

Good night to all!
    This is another airman which is intriguing me...I found that F/Sgt Samuel Hat Porteous (RAFVR 1059847) was killed with 14 (SAAF) Squadron, which was apparently fully equipped with B-26 Marauder by the time he was killed, on the 14th December 1942.
    I am trying to find the aircraft he was flying (serial number, codes) and his crew, and causes of the dismise.
    ANY directions would be welcomed...there is no match to LW fighters (so far)...so maybe an accident while converting to type (a single engined approach?), or Italian opposition/Flak?
    Thanks for the attention to this thread.
    Adriano S. Baumgartner

Thanks

F/Sgt Samuel Hart Porteous, was not a member of No.14 Sqn SAAF, nor was he killed on the 14th December, 1942. The details of his death in action, are as follows:

Sat 19/Sun 20 Dec 1942
    MIDDLE EAST
    "Gardening" - minelaying in Tunis Harbour, Tunisia.
    14 Squadron, RAF (LG221 [Fayid], Egypt; detachment at berka III [Benghazi], Libya - 201 Group)
    Marauder I FK366 - took off from Berka III captained by Flt lt J T Willis, RAF, with two others and one of two which failed to return, being brought down in the Gulf of Tunis. The captain survived to be taken prisoner, but his five comrades died. One, an RAF Fg Off, is commemorated on the Alamein memorial, while the others are buried at Enfidaville (the 2nd pilot is incorrectly recorded in the CWGC register as having died on the 14th, because of an unintentional repetition of his squadron number for date).

Navigator: NZ402240 Fg Off Eric William BARR, mid, RNZAF - Age 25. 451hrs. 37th op(?)

See:
    For Your Tomorrow:A Record of New Zealanders who have Died while Serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915. Volume One: Fates 1915 - 1942.
    Martyn,Errol W.
    Christchurch:Volplane Press,1998
    p.284

Crew:

120485 P/O (Pilot) John Trueman WILLIS DFM RAFVR - Survived, PoW.
    1059847 F/Sgt (2nd Pilot) Samuel Hart PORTEOUS RAFVR +
    NZ402240 F/O (Obs.) Eric William BARR RNZAF +
    120866 F/O (W.Op./Air Gnr.) Peter Benson MARTELL RAFVR +
    AUS401632 Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) Herbert Frank FORD RAAF +
    1076864 Sgt (Air Gnr.) Frank BARRATT RAFVR +

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 29th October 2013 at 22:22.

Thanks

COL,

I do THANK YOU (again!) for your most valuable help....
    Yes, I made a mistake about 14 Squadron and 14 (SAAF) Squadron...however, the CGWC do inform the date of dismise, as being 14th December 1942, as you can see:
    http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...0SAMUEL%20HART
    I have already cross-checked the loss with the mervellous 14 Squadron site.
    Thank you so much for showing me the "way"...and I do appologize for my own mistakes...I do try to cross-check before asking or posting threads, to not disturb people. Sometimes we can not find on Google simply by digiting a name...
    I still owe you some beers (one for each thread you have helped me...), if you ever do come to those South Lands....Will keep my promiss...believe me!
    Yours must sincerely,
    Adriano S. Baumgartner

Thanks

I've sent a message to the CWGC to notify them of this date issue and point them at the RAAF A705 file.

Does anyone have the ORB handy? Ill check the website mentioned above.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

The 14 Sqn association advised that the ORB lists only the aircraft captains name and makes no mention of the crew names so that no use.

The CWGC advised that they would need direct evidence of Porteous's name and the date before investigating so there is nothing more that I can do as I am not that level of money. Suggested they talk to the PMA and AHB. Cheeky git that I am.

Erroll, perhaps you have anything from the RNZAF record that might assist?
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com