Thread: Lancaster ED347

Thanks

Default Lancaster ED347

Lancaster ED347 was lost over the Netherlands on 20th December 1942 along with all her crew, my father Flying Officer J.W.Lynes, the Navigator being one of those lost. I have been able to make contact with three other crew member's families and would very much like to locate the other three if possible.
    Crew as follows:
    Sgt J.W.Tyreman contact made.
    Sgt J Sykes
    F.O J.W.Lynes Me!
    Sgt H.B.Stokes
    Sgt H.G.Ford contact made.
    Sgt J Hill
    Sgt G.C.Wing contact made.

If anyone has any knowledge or information about these families, I would love to hear from you.
    Thankyou.
    Liz Lynes

Thanks

Hi Liz - you may well already have tried this, but have you made contact with the IX Squadron Association? They may well be able to offer some leads: -

http://www.9sqn.co.uk/

Good luck!!

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Thanks Greg for your reply. I have been onto 1X Sqn, but unfortunately they only do research for 'members', and for personal reasons and I don't want to be a 'member'; too much going down memory lane for me! However, a Dutch archavist friend is writing a book about the aircraft that were lost in his area, one of which is ED347, so it would be great to able to find other families and, if they were willing to share any memorabilla with them.
    Liz

Thanks

It's a shame they can't even offer to pass on correspondence in the event that there are relatives of your dad's crew in the Association Liz, but I'm sure they have their reasons...

I've had some success in the past with contacting local papers in the areas where airmen came from before they joined up and asking them to run an appeal - it's the sort of story local papers almost always take up. If you haven't tried that already, it'd be worth a go...

All the best,

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

For what it's worth, a Dorothy Helena. E. Stokes (possible wife of H.B.Stokes, of Kent, CWGC) died in Rochester, Kent, in 2004, so might be offspring thereabouts.

Thanks

Again, many thanks for the replies. Greg that is an idea that I hadn't thought of and I will certainly look into contacting the 'local' press and see where that gets me. Alan, that is interesting, again maybe I can build on that info in some way. It is a bit of a 'needle in a haystack' exercise, but I managed to find Sgt Tyreman and Sgt Wing through a 'Lancaster Forum' which sadly had to close so it's worth exploring wherever seems a likely spot! Sgt Ford's family found me!
    Liz

Thanks

Certainly just write to the local newspaper(s) in the area where they came from. Works a treat. Also use the online bt.com phone book if the surname is a bit unique.
    And just use google to find the local paper.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

I will do that Dennis and thank you for the info. I will 'report' any feedback!
    Liz

Thanks

Hi Liz
    I have only just found this forum but I thought I would still reply.
    Sgt H.B Stokes was Harold Stokes and was married to my great aunt, Dorothy. They were married in July 1939, but sadly did not have any children before Harold was killed.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by LizLynes View Post
    Lancaster ED347 was lost over the Netherlands on 20th December 1942 along with all her crew, my father Flying Officer J.W.Lynes, the Navigator being one of those lost. I have been able to make contact with three other crew member's families and would very much like to locate the other three if possible.
    Crew as follows:
    Sgt J.W.Tyreman contact made.
    Sgt J Sykes
    F.O J.W.Lynes Me!
    Sgt H.B.Stokes
    Sgt H.G.Ford contact made.
    Sgt J Hill
    Sgt G.C.Wing contact made.

If anyone has any knowledge or information about these families, I would love to hear from you.
    Thankyou.
    Liz Lynes