Thread: W/c rwf sampson

Thanks

Default W/c rwf sampson

Hello again,

Does any know the serial of the Spifire Mk.XVI flown by W/C Sampson from April 45 onwards when he was leading 145 Wing - up to September 45? His aircraft was wearing the letters 'SS'.

Thanks
    Phil

Thanks

Hi Phil,
    I have checked his book and also some correspondence I have relating to him and I cannot find any mention of a serial number.

Oddly, in his book he lists his combat victories and the serial numbers of the aircraft he was flying at the time. However, he shows no serial number for 'SS' and therefore I presume it didn't have one. I can't see a serial number in any pictures of that aircraft either.

Gerry

Thanks

Hello,

W/C Sampson's 'SS' mount, was: Spitfire IX RK853. You will find photos, and a colour profile, here:

2nd Tactical Air Force. Volume Three. From the Rhine to Victory. January to May 1945.
    Shores,Christopher & Chris Thomas.
    Hersham:Classic Publications,2006.
    pp.451-2.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 2nd November 2013 at 22:56.

Thanks

Hello,

Yes his Mk.IX had been indentified and appears in 2 TAF book. But in his book 'Spitfire Offensive' he clearly says that he had to switch for a Mk.XVI in April 45. There are also some photo of him seated in this Spit which had a teardrop canopy, so it can't be the same aircraft shown in the 2TAF book. Any clue?

Thanks

Phil

Thanks

Phil,

l'll try another tack !

l had flown to Hendon in bad weather and my last flight in 'SS' was also terrible due to fog. It would have been nice to have had a pleasant empty blue sky to, perhaps, have a last fling, but this was denied me. As it was l had to be homed into Lasham, but l made it.

l handed over my Spitfire to Captaine Felix Jacquemet on the 15th. He was going to fly it back to Fassberg. Unfortunately, he ran into bad weather, crashed, and was killed. A sad end to a very fine chap and an ignominious end to my Spitfire which had been in so many and varied offensive actions over the last weeks of World War II.

See:
    Spitfire Offensive.
    Sampson, R W F. W/C. OBE, DFC & Bar.
    Barton-Under-Needwood:Wren Park Publishing,2002.
    pp.170-1.

Possibly -

Spitfire LF.XVI TD324 - 345 Sqn. - Crashed 2m NW of Halle. FACE. DBF. 15-10-1945.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 3rd November 2013 at 13:09.

Thanks

Yes I think it is most probably TD324, as he indeed Sampson flew this aircraft at least once (345 ORB)

Phil

Thanks

Philippe,

In the feedback review of Avions n°187 (may-june 2012) I gave the serial TB324 "SS" for the loss of Capitaine Felix Jaquemet (without C) on 15/10/1945.

I did a mistake ; it is clearly the TD324 as TB324 is not a spitfire. On 28/4/45 S. Sampson did a bombing with the Spit XVI TD324/SS

Note the Felix Jaquemet is Compagnon de la Libération.

http://www.ordredelaliberation.fr/fr_compagnon/496.html

Bertrand