Thread: 199 Squadron

Thanks

Default 199 Squadron

I am trying to find information on my late father FLT LT Robert (Bobby) Snedden LAIRD
    Service N 149193. He served in 199 Squadron from July 1944 till June 1945 Group 100 North Creake and may have been involved in the window and mantrel patrols.
    If anyone can give me any information on him, what aircraft he flew, crews etc I would be very grateful as it is very difficult to decipher his RAF service record.

Bobbie48

Thanks

The first entry in the 199 Operations Record Book for your father F/O R. Laird, who was a bomb aimer in the crew piloted by F/O Briggs, was on 11-12 August 1944. They flew in Stirling Mk. III LJ531 : EX-N on a Mandrel screen.

I would be happy to have a look through the ORB for you if this would be of interest. During 1944-1945, the ORB gives date of operation, aircraft and serial number, crew names, the time when the aircraft took off and landed and a brief statement about the operation (usually Special Mission : Mandrel Screen or Window dropping).

Douglas

Thanks

Hello Douglas

Thank you for replying to my question. Yes, that would be very helpful. [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I was hoping someone might haveaccess to the (ORB) Operational Record Books for 199 Squadron or could give mesome information about him personally, the sorties he flew and air crews. Sadlyhe was killed in 1948 in a flying accident at Topcliffe airfield after havingsurvived the dangers of WW2. I never knew my father and my mother never talkedmuch about his war service and I would like to find out more about him beforeit is too late.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
    Quote Originally Posted by Theletterwriter View Post
    The first entry in the 199 Operations Record Book for your father F/O R. Laird, who was a bomb aimer in the crew piloted by F/O Briggs, was on 11-12 August 1944. They flew in Stirling Mk. III LJ531 : EX-N on a Mandrel screen.

I would be happy to have a look through the ORB for you if this would be of interest. During 1944-1945, the ORB gives date of operation, aircraft and serial number, crew names, the time when the aircraft took off and landed and a brief statement about the operation (usually Special Mission : Mandrel Screen or Window dropping).

Douglas

Thanks

I hope to start checking the 199 ORB in the next few days. My work can be described as controled pandemonium at the moment but I will try and help as much as I can and get some sort of reply to you as soon as possible.

Douglas

Thanks

Thank you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Roberta