Thread: RAF Website

Thanks

Default RAF Website

It's been a while since I last posted, but I am very grateful for all the help I received in deciphering my Dad's Service Records. Since then, I've been busy transferring my Uncle's 'Life in the RAF' stories he left us as legacy, which fill three large volumes. It covers his time right from when he joined the RAF as an Armourer, to when he became a Wellington pilot in Bomber Command (192 Special Duties) and ended up as a Flying Instructor at Penhold, Canada, flying Oxfords.

He was posted to various RAF Stations including Martlesham Heath, where he worked on all the prototype aircraft including the K5054 Spitfire, K5083 Hurricane and the K4049 Wellington. He was also posted to HMS Furious and HMS Courageous and gives superb accounts of what life was like as an Armourer aboard the aircraft carriers at sea. My Uncle also mentions quite a few people he met along the way and those that he worked with. For a quick guide to a lot of things that get mentioned in the various chapters, just click on the main headings at the top of the page. I've put them in various lists so they are easy to find. (hopefully!)

One interesting account that you will not have heard of, is an unusual and funny idea they came up with when working on the K5054, which doesn't seem to appear in any book I've read!

The website is an on-going project as there are a LOT of pages still to type up, but plenty are there for you to read if you so wish. If you read his Bio first you will understand what an extraordinary life he had.

As a well-known search engine won't have indexed the website yet, here is the url

http://lifeintheraf.weebly.com/

Enjoy!

Debbie

Thanks

Excellent website Debbie....I've bookmarked it to read in detail at my leisure.
    Regards
    Max
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453

Thanks

Very pleased you like it, Max. A lot of effort went into it as he wrote a LOT of stories. It was a nightmare trying to figure out the best way to display the pages to fit all the chapters in, but think I've cracked it. His brother has seen it and wrote me a lovely email saying my Uncle Noel would have been so proud of me. That's lovely to know. :-)