Thread: [B]Master signaller Eric Charles Brown (614185)[/B]

Thanks

Default [B]Master signaller Eric Charles Brown (614185)[/B]

I am trying to put together a brief history of Master Signaller Eric Charles Brown (614185) who recently died. So far I have him in 1943 with 35 squadron(my main area of interest) being awarded the DFM, gazetted 10/9/43.
    He may have become a member of the caterpillar club from the crash of HalifaxW7821 in May 1943.
    The 35 squadron ORB’s only seem to have him listed on this one occasion, but there are several ‘maybes’ listed as EG or EJ Brown – the rest of the crew being the same.

He then reappears in an Osprey publication ’Valiant units of the Cold War, by Andrew Brooks’ with a one line “No214 squadrons early crews included Master Signaller E C Brown and Sergeants MJ Frost and PG Game"

I have a copy of his Certificate of Service giving his release as 23/4/59 the release officer being a F/Lt D Milne RAF Marham. The same document shows his length of service as 8 years, so it may be that a short period of civilian life he returned to the RAF – I don’t know if that was usual? Looking at one of the pages on previous service it lists
    1938-1946 RAF
    1946-1949 RAF F/Sgt
    1949-1951 Class ‘E’ reserve.
    This suggests he left the RAF post war in 1949 and was recalled in 1951 to serve for a period of 8 years, with final discharge in 1959.

Anything that can be gleaned from this scant data or any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

My thanks,
    Paul H.

PS if anyone has a copy of Tavenders DFM citations and could look up his award I would be grateful.
    I believe it was for 45 middle east missions and 20 over Germany.
    Paul H.
    Last edited by paulh; 5th November 2013 at 23:30. Reason: additional request for information.

Thanks

Hello,

On 4/5 May, 1943, on return from Dortmund, a F/Sgt E G Brown, abandoned No.35 Sqn Halifax II W7887. See: BCL4/133

Col.

Thanks

Thanks Col,
    This is one of my problems. I think that the entries on the 35 sqn orb showing EG brown should read EC Brown, an easy error when reading a crib sheet of crew members.But very difficult to accuarately say which is correct and, of course, orb's don't tend to show postings of other ranks!
    My thanks.
    Paul.

Thanks

In my research I have

a)found the London Gazette entry for award of DFM issue 10/9/1943

b)have a copy of a letter from Central Chancery the Orders of Knighthood St James palace with instructions to attend investiture at Buckingham Palace dated 10/10/1945

Is this time gap normal, or would it have been for a different award?

Paul H.

Thanks

Paul H - I've just found this thread while doing a search on Google for Flt/Sgt Brown. He was the Great Uncle of Mrs Greg's best friend, and the Great Neice has asked me tonight for some gen on him. Drop me an email to gregATgreg-harrison.co.uk (replacing the obvious with the obvious!!) and maybe we can all work together to create a lasting epitaph for this brave man?

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Greg
    I have sent you private mail.

Paulh