Thread: S/Ldr J H Odell, 7/7/91

Thanks

Default S/Ldr J H Odell, 7/7/91

Hello chaps, a rather more modern request, but perhaps someone can help?

S/Ldr Jeremy Henry Odell (2619575E) who died 7th July 1991. His unit is given as RAF Shawbury and according to the a list i have from the MOD, he was killed in an aircraft crash (not noted which one). Can anyone tell me which aircraft he was piloting??

I cant find anything in Colin Cummings Lost to Service or J J Halleys Broken Wings. Perhaps it was a civil registered aircraft?

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Jerry O'Dell was a member of the RAF Gliding and Soaring Association and if memory serves me correctly he was killed in a glider crash. He was a very well known member of the RAFGSA and I seem to recall that he was particularly well known for his engineering ability. My memory of this is all a little hazy, but a check of back-issues of the gliding magazine "Sailplane and Gliding" should confirm this.

Thanks

Just a point

London Gazette has him as

Jeremy Henry O'Dell 2619575

and

Jeremy Henry Odell 2619575

Thanks

Thanks Gents, that would certainly explain why Halley nor Cumming's lists him. I'm puzzled how to find out what type of glider he was flying now and where it crashed though? I think i'll have to start with the local paper?

Thanks for the help, Tom

WB981 Guest

The glider in question was a Slingsby T.65 Vega. It is a glass fibre 15 meter span glider on the British Gliding Association register. This particular example had the wing span increased to 17 mtrs.

Apparently it broke up in flight.