Thread: W Sniechowski 310 Sqdn 08-12-1941 Polish

Thanks

Default W Sniechowski 310 Sqdn 08-12-1941 Polish

Hi,

I found some information in Polish attached to the grave of the above mentioned airman but it did not include details of the loss.

I haven't seen 310 Sqdn ORB for that date but I have looked at the Dyce ORB (I believe he was stationed at Dyce at the time of death) but nothing is mentioned.

If anyone is able to give me information as to how this young man lost his life I would be very grateful.

Thank you
    Linzee

Thanks

Practicing night landings and take offs. Aircraft spun into ground, after steep climbing turn. It was 310's last loss whilst based at Dyce.

Thanks

Thanks Alan. Do you have an aircraft type and serial?

Thanks

Spitfire, no type, possibly VB, no serial.
    Last edited by AlanW; 11th November 2013 at 18:04.

Thanks

Serial probably AD468

DaveW

Thanks

Spot on Dave, just found a reference which includes the code as well, NN-W.

Thanks

Hi Linzee,

I can confim all what was already told:

P-0321 F/O Wilhelm Sniechowski
    + 8.12.41
    Spitfire VB AD468/NN-W

t/o 18.05 and after the t/o he started to climbing steeply. After the first turn to the left it was clear the aircrafts was to slow and then - evidence just from watching the navigational lights from the ground - the Spitfire spun into ground at 18.07. Pilot make an attempt to bail out as he was unstrapped and his parachute was partially opened...

Before 310 Sq he served with 32 Sq. He was posted to 310 Sq in June 1941 instead of F/O Jaroslav Studený, former pilot of 310 Sq, who was posted to 306 (Polish) Sq in May 1941. It was an attempt to tight a combat friendship between Czechoslovak and Polish airmen.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Alan, Dave, Pavel,

Many thanks for adding to the jigsaw. Much appreciated.

His grave is the only Polish one in the war graves part of the cemetery at Dyce Old Churchyard (a couple of Czech ones as Pavel already knows as he has been there). There are also German graves in the same part of the cemetery.

I attended a service there yesterday, I arrived early in order to visit some of the graves beforehand and his grave already had a candle and an A4 laminated sheet with his photo and two sides of text in Polish.

I'm just following it up out of curiosity and also because after a bit of 'googling' I've not found much/anything in English about him. Hopefully this thread will rectify that.

I don't know who placed the candle and the info there but if I was to hazzard a guess it would be that possibly someone from the Polish community in Aberdeen may have visited on All Saints Day (1st Nov) and lit a candle for a Pole a long way from home.

I wasn't previously aware of the significance of All Saints Day in commemorating the dead by visitin g graves and lighting candles, I'm not sure (but stand to be corrected) that it's something that is widespread in the UK. However, I was in Norway and by chance visited two different cemeteries on All Saints Day and they were absolutely full of people lighting candles and placing wreathes or flowers on family graves, not war graves. Having just talked to a Polish neighbour it is a huge thing also in Poland.........and I am assuming many of the other European countries.

I should have some more info to post in the near future. Thanks to all for input so far. It's always good to learn a little more about a young man who gave his life for our freedom.

I have a photo of the grave if anyone is interested.

Regards
    Linzee