Thread: Casualties, Circus 96, 17 Sep 41 (p.m.)

Thanks

Default Casualties, Circus 96, 17 Sep 41 (p.m.)

This is a partial repetition of my earlier post re Circus 95, as I have established that two of the pilots I sought information on for that Circus, were actually in the day's later operation (i.e. Circus 96, rather than Circus 95). The error has its origins with a publication I initially referred to, which appears to be wrong. As such, I am now seeking the identities of the following pilots who were casualties on Circus 96, ca. 18:00-ish, please:

54 Sqn: Sgt Plt (Who?) Bachelor, WIA in Spit Va, R7301, crash-landed at Hornchurch
    54 Sqn: Sgt Plt (Who?) Preece, shot down, WIA in Spit Vb, W3653, ditched in Channel, picked up by ASR
    609 Sqn: (Full name and rank?), shot down in Spit Vb, (serial?), ditched in Channel, picked up by ASR

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Steve

the 609 machine was W3767 and I have the the pilot as Atkinson JA. Sorry I don't have his rank and full name.

DaveW

Thanks

Steve
    754308 Sgt(?) John Alexander Atkinson Cmd 26 Sep 40 [86376] might be yr man? Seems to have joined the RAFVR when it was invented?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello

I confirm Peter's information. He was a Flying Officer at the time of said event.

Sir "Joe" is still amongst us, the oldest surviving pilot of No. 609 Squadron (WR) (as far as we know). His tenure with 609 was the longest wartime ever, from late October / early November 1940 until April 1943.

54 Squadron ORB doesn't give any initials of pilots, only ranks and surname. The Squadron lost 3 pilots including the C.O. during Circus 95 in the morning, and Preece and Batchelor went both to hospital following Circus 96 in the afternoon. I see Preece back into ops two weeks later, but not the latter.

Steve, note that the Squadron ORB gives the spelling Batchelor, with a 't'. There was another Batchelor serving with 54 Squadron slightly earlier, not to be confused with. Both spellings are wrongly recorded in FCL1... He was P/O Gordon Herbert Batchelor (86343), shot down and captured on 9th July 1941, died as a PoW on 15 avril 1942.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Dave, Peter, and particularly Joss for the clarifications.

Thank you for the look-ups and taking the time to reply.

Regards
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm