Thread: 408 Squadron Records

Thanks

Default 408 Squadron Records

Hi,

This is my first posting so I hope it is in the correct forum...

I wonder if someone can assist here. My late Father was a Flight Engineer on Lancaster II’s and Halifax VII’s with 408 Squadron based at Linton-On-Ouse from 25/6/44 until the end of the war. He told me that he flew 49 operations (one of the lucky ones!) and crashed twice in the UK.

Luckily I have got his RAF service record that gives me his rank, number and other personal data here but his flying log book has unfortunately been lost some years ago.

He is no longer with us but I recently bought an Airfix kit of a Lancaster II that amazingly has decals for a 408 Squadron aircraft ‘Z’ Zombie LL725 EQ Z. I very much would like to make up this kit in his honour and thereby lies my questions…is there any way that I can ascertain if my Father actually flew in this particular aircraft and/or can there be any way that I could find out what aircraft and their registrations that my Father flew on operations with 408?

I appreciate that this may be a very long shot but I was rather hoping that somewhere there may be an operational record for this period and squadron that would have the information such as dates, crew names etc.

His name was Charles James Thomas Gibbs F.O. Flt Engineer and service number 1318071

Thanks for any help anyone can supply.

Regards.

Brian Gibbs. (Son)

Thanks

Hi Brian,

You should order the Operations Record Book from The National Archives: http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...x=0&image1.y=0

Cheers,

Fox.
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

Hi Brian

I've dropped you a PM (personal message) with a contact that may be able to help you.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thank you both...I will try Simon's idea first and hopefully will post back here when I get some more info. Never knew ORB's still existed...fingers crossed I turn up some info.

Brian

Thanks

Brian,

I'm at Kew tomorrow and can have a look in the ORB for you if you wish.

Regards

Andy

Thanks

Hello Brian. Your father came to 408 Sq as there converting from the Lancaster II to the Halifax VII. He did 5 ops in the Lanc, but not LL-725 EQ-Z.
    He did 2 ops in DS-848 EQ-D, 1 op in DS-841 EQ-L, 1 op in DS-838 EQ-A and 1 op in LL-722 EQ-N.

Hope this helps.
    Richard