Thread: Researching William Arthur Henry Green

Thanks

Default Researching William Arthur Henry Green

Good day to all

I am in the process of writing a book of the servicemen of my county who died during the Wars. I have one who is giving me quite some difficulty. I am researching William Arthur Henry Green, born in 1912 in Brownsburg, Quebec, Canada and died around 1942 "Lost at Sea". The year of death and cause is not verified. As you all know, "Lost at Sea" could mean anything, but I have searched for this man in the CWGC, VAC Virtual Memorial, in our local newspaper and simply can't pinpoint when he died and with what unit. I have attended LAC and viewed all the William Green's service files and found nothing. I know he died prior to July 1944 as he is briefly mentioned in our newspaper. At this point, I am assuming he may have enrolled with the R.A.F. With this in mind, in scouring through the CWGC website I have come across the following potential:

1. Sgt Green, William Arthur, RAFVR, died 26 Nov 1943, 166 Squadron, Runnymede

If any members would have any information on this William Arthur Green I would appreciate it. Trying to narrow down the possibilities before ordering service files from MND. Thanks

Danny
    Remembering Gunner Robert Béland (1919-2012), 5th L.A.A., R.C.A., Canadian Army, WWII

Thanks

That William Arthur GREEN was English by the looks of it. His name appears in the Wills Calenders for 1944 as follows:

GREEN William Arthur of 17 Longfield Avenue Dalton Huddersfield died on or since 26 November 1943 on war service. Administration Wakefield 6 November to Marion Green Widow

Details taken from ancestry.com

Same site has baptism records for your man, born 1912 to Arthur Edward Green and his wife Bessie Florence Green (nee Fisk)
    Sponsrs were a Sydney Fisk and Clara Green.

I don't fully understand what the scanned baptism records are saying but the entry for 1912 is crossed out on one ledger and entered again for 1914. I can't tell at a glance what the error was as such.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 13th November 2013 at 21:56.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks Dennis, he's also eliminated, am running out of potentials. Even the Royal Canadian Legion has no ideas who this serviceman is. He is inscribed on the War Memorial in Brownsburg. It took my a year to locate another serviceman on the War Memorial... it turns out that one served with the US 1st Division and was KIA in November 1944. I have been looking for my William Green for 15 months now. I know who he is, just don't know when and with what unit he died. Thanks

Danny
    Remembering Gunner Robert Béland (1919-2012), 5th L.A.A., R.C.A., Canadian Army, WWII