Thread: RAF Pay Scales 1940

Thanks

Default RAF Pay Scales 1940

I would be grateful for advice on the 1940 payscales of the following ranks:

Leading Aircraftman
    Corporal
    Sergeant
    Flight Sergeant

I hope the answer is as easy as the question.

TIA
    Brian

Thanks

If anybody can ppost here also 1941 I will be grateful.
    I am interested in pay of flying personnel.

TIA

Pavel

P.S: for 1940 I think you can check publication ABC of the RAF

Thanks

As advertised in Flight magazine - May 1940:

"Recruits selected as suitable for air crews are first mustered as Aircraftmen 2nd Class with pay at the rate of 2s. a day during training. Pilots are then remustered and reclassified as Leading Aircraftmen and paid at the rate of 5s. a day plus flying instructional pay at the rate of 2s. a day.

Air observers under training are also remustered as L.A/C. and paid 5s. a day plus flying instructional pay at the rate of is. 6d. during training. Other members of air crews remain A.C.2S during training with pay remaining at 2s. a day.

When their training is complete airmen are remustered and reclassified or' promoted according to the percentage of marks they obtain on passing out of training. An airman pilot becomes a sergeant with pay at the rate of 12s. 6d. a day. An observer may be either a sergeant or an acting sergeant. If the latter, he receives pay at the rate of 9s. a day.

A wireless operator may be classified on completing training as a L.A/C, an A.C.i or an A.C.2 with pay at the rate of 5s., 4s. 3d. or 3s. 6d. a day respectively, plus air crew pay and air gunner pay of is. 6d. a day.

An air gunner is classified in the same way but receives pay of 4s., 3s. 6d. or 2s. a day, plus the air crew and air gunner pay of is. 6d. a day. In all instances pay is for a seven-day week. A certain number of airman pilots and observers are selected for commissions on the results they obtain in the examination at the conclusion of their training. The wives of married airmen are paid a family allowance varying from 17s. to 23s. 6d. a week according to rank with additional allowances for children.

At the same time airmen receive free accommodation, food and clothing (or money allowances instead) and medical attendance."

http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1940/1940%20-%201395.pdf

Hope that's a start

A

Thanks

Thanks Amrit, but I'm after groundcrew rather than aircrew.

Just to explain further - in September 1940 two merchant ships were chartered by the Admiralty to act as weather ships in the North Atlantic. The crews were merchant seamen, but the meteorologists on board were RAFVR Met Branch. The Met Office requested the men (4 ORs and two officers in total) be granted additional pay because of the extreme danger of the task (the ships were sailing alone, were unarmed and transmitting data every 6 hours). The Treasury replied to the effect the job was no more dangerous than that of an ARP official watching for bombers, and that they were not worth any extra pay.

The only way round the problem, with which the RAF agreed, was to promote each man one rank.

I want to put a value on how much officialdom thought the job was worth.

Both ships were sunk with the loss of all hands in June/July the following year - but that's another story.

Brian

Thanks

Someone with a copy of "ABC of the RAF" maybe able to help. There were a number of editions during the war and I've heard that they may have pay scales

A

Thanks

Just confirming Amrit's comment about the ABC of the RAF. Checking my copy (an undated edition but published post 31.12.40 and probably prior to mid-1942) I find that it features a considerable amount of information on pay for both ground crew/staff and aircrew on pages 12-18.

Errol

Thanks

I have also my own copy of undated ABC of the RAF but it is out of my reach now:-( WIll try to get it soon.

Pavel

Bart FM Droog Guest

I know it is very difficult to translate the amounts the different ranks got paid to modern times, but maybe some financial expert can?

Or, if that's impossible, how much were the wages of
    a soldier
    a policeman
    a fireman
    a factory worker
    a school teacher
    a surgeon
    a high civil servant

in those days?

Regards,

Bart
    Last edited by Bart FM Droog; 21st April 2008 at 15:54. Reason: typo

Thanks

I've a program that can do that Bart, but I need the 1940 data first.

Thank you all for your contributions.

Brian

Thanks

This is just a start:

http://www.worldwar2exraf.co.uk/Online%20Museum/Museum%20Docs/Cost%20of%20living%203.htm

A