Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Acronym - S.I. ?

Thanks

Default RAF Acronym - S.I. ?

Hi,

I've come across the acronym S.I. in the logbook of a pilot who has been posted to 11 Radio School as duty pilot or staff pilot.

Who knows ?

TIA

Bertrand
    http://www.rafcommands.com/galleries...g?m=1384717924

Thanks

Bertrand
    No real idea, have never seen this acronym before, but from the context it looks as though it was an (accepted) abbreviation in Radio Schools, and possibly also other schools where the staff pilot was not instructing himself (not qualified to anyway), and acting in the capacity of a bus driver! As pupils (presumably under instruction) are aboard during these flights, one is tempted to guess that it might be along the lines of "standard instructional" (with "duties" implied)? I am usually someone against out of control wild speculation of the meaning of little known abbreviations, but in this case I feel that I might at least be on roughly the right track.
    David D

Thanks

I agree with David, and having checked the copies I have from the unit ORB there is no clue to the meaning of S.I. in there.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Hi Bertrand,

like David I have never seen this acronym before, although I have seen quite a lot of WOP/AG ones.
    The only thing which cames to my mind is that it might be something like "Signals Instruction"? But anyway it is onyl a long shot...

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel and Bertrand,
    I have just come back to this site as I had been mulling this one over while having a shower about ten minutes ago and suddenly came to precisely the same conclusion as Pavel! However I think a pretty good guess for all that, so now we just wait for some confirmation, if indeed anybody out there in the RAF Commands heartland can assist on this. In other words, still only an interim interpretation.
    David D
    Last edited by David Duxbury; 17th November 2013 at 22:07. Reason: improvement!

Thanks

According to this site:
    http://www.lancaster-archive.com/bc_abbr-s.htm

SIC Signals Intelligence Unit
    SIF Special Instruction Flight
    SIF/U Special Installation Flight/Unit
    SITF Station Instrument Training Flight
    SIU Signals Intelligence Unit

So SI could mean:
    Signals Intelligence
    Special Instruction
    Special Installation
    Station Instrument

Probably: Special Instruction

Thanks

From personal experience I can offer up:-

PSI(Sigs) - Permanent Staff Instructor, Signals
    SI - Signals Instructor

Regards
    Pierre

Thanks

Many thanks at all. I do not imagine that this acronym had to be a such question mark ! I think Pierre has the reply with "Signals Instructor" as this staff pilot was not instructing himself and acting in the capacity of a pilot !

Bertrand

Thanks

Bertrand I think "Signals Instruction" is more probable as it is description of training flying. The pilot was only "taxi driver" in this case, he was not giving them any instructions on wireless practice during the flight I suppose. Also a pilot can become hardly WOP instructor.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

I totally agree with Pavel's last comments. Although 90% convinced that this is the correct interpretation, still unconfirmed from any reliable (official) source, but a good "working" hypothesis! The trouble with these abbreviations used in log books is that they were often peculiar to an era or a place, and although many of them are easy, others are more obscure. No doubt the owners of log books were well aware of the standard abbreviations at each unit they flew with, and sometimes you can find these on a piece of paper pasted into the book itself if you are lucky, but others may have appeared on permanent noticeboards at the stations "for guidance". I have checked through various editions of AP 129 (Pilots' Notes - General, and postwar as RAF Pilots' Flying Manual) but abbreviations such as these were obviously considered not to be of such significance as to be included in this publication.
    David D
    Last edited by David Duxbury; 18th November 2013 at 20:26. Reason: Improvements