Thread: Sgt. G. W. Bumstead, d. 21/7/1944 aged 19, Flt. Eng, 514 Squadron

Thanks

Default Sgt. G. W. Bumstead, d. 21/7/1944 aged 19, Flt. Eng, 514 Squadron

Please can anyone add to the above info from CWGC?

Having joined the Vets for the Remembrance Service parade to Alexandra Park, Hastings I did the rounds of the memorial to see the names of 9 absent friends

Quite fortuitously I saw Bumstead, G.W. Sgt and thought it was a fair bet that he was "Bummy" - a fellow classmate at Mount Pleasant Junior School

He was - and I never knew that he served in the R.A.F!

Thanks

BCL 5/343

Lancaster I LM181 JI-E
    Op: Homberg

T/o 2308 Waterbeach. Crashed 0122. All were buried in the Reichswald Forest War Cemetery.
    F/O L. W. McLean RNZAF +
    Sgt G. W. Bumstead +
    F/S A. T. Stone RNZAF +
    F/S W. S. McIlraith RNZAF +
    F/S T. K. Durie RNZAF +
    Sgt R. E. Digby +
    Sgt M. Duncan +
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Many thanks, Al

I never cease to be amazed how quickly you chaps respond to requests from the less well-informed

11 minutes in this case!

I'll now keep my fingers crossed hoping that someone may have 514's ORBs for July 1944

Thanks again

Aubrey

Thanks

Aubrey - Steve Smith is your man. I'll tip him off when I speak to him later this morning that you're after information from one of "his" squadrons.

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Greg
    How nice to see you joining in on this one - further proof of “It’s not what you know but who you know that’s so important”
    I shall always be grateful for your invaluable help with 100’s ED555 HW-A (P/O Theo L Simpson and crew) and I’ll certainly look forward to hearing from Steve.
    Meanwhile, I’ll quote from something I found this morning per http://www.facebook.com/514SquadronR...57633679814800

514 SQUADRON RAF
    This is a long entry but hopefully worth a read for what was a difficult night for 514 Sqd.

20th July 1944:
    Weather: Fair to cloudy.
    Non-operational flying: Cross-countries and air tests were carried out.
    Operational flying: 24 aircraft were detailed to attack oil plant at Homberg. All took off, 17 attacked the primary target, 2 aircraft returned early and 1 aircraft (P/O Watkins’ LL726) jettisoned in the target area due to fighter attack. 20 aircraft landed back at Base, 4 aircraft are missing. Weather was clear with a slight haze over the target. Red TIs were reported very concentrated. Large fires and explosions were seen and columns of black smoke. Enemy fighters were very active and moderate heavy flak.

Notes: Night fighters were a significant problem on this op. F/S Richardson, pilot of DS8123, reported ‘We had five fighter attacks within 30 miles of target.’ F/S John Lawrie, flying DS826 early in his tour, reported a combat with an enemy fighter, whilst W/O Boston in LL677 noted a ‘Head on attack by single engine fighter just after leaving the target area.’ Seven crews reported combat with enemy fighters, in addition to the four crews posted missing. This was a bad night for the Squadron, second only to the Nuremberg raid.
    In total, twenty Lancasters were lost from the force of 147 (13.6%), including 7 from 75 (NZ) Squadron, one of 514’s sister squadrons.
    The details of 514 losses are as follows. There were no survivors from any of the aircraft lost
    _____

The said details can be abbreviated as:
    HK570 JI-P crashed at 0159 in the sea off the Dutch coast (presumably on return leg as the squadron aircraft bombed between 0119hrs and 0125hrs)
    W/O JL Lassam and crew

HK571 JI-L crashed at 0124 at Daubenspeckhof 1km W of Moers (in target area)
    P/O SM Anderson and crew

LM181 JI-E crashed 0122 in the target area. No further details
    F/O LW McLean RNZAF and crew

ME858 JI-J crashed at 0116hrs at Limburg (approaching the target)
    F/O D Millar and crew
    _____

The loss of 147 Lancasters (13.6%) prompted me to refer to some stats that I prepared re aircraft engaged in Theo’s 25 operations and, just for the record, here's a summary thereof

DESPATCHED LOST
    Halifaxes 2,860 - 26.8% 130 - 4.5%
    Lancasters 5,699 - 53.4% 153 - 2.7%
    Mosquitoes 108 - 1.0% 0 - 0%
    Stirlings 1,413 - 13.2% 86 - 6.1%
    Wellingtons 603 - 5.6% 29 - 4.8%
    Total 10,683 - 100.0% 398 - 3.7%

NB
    Whilst the percentage of Lancasters deployed was far higher (53.4% of the force) than any other aircraft the loss rate (2.7%) was much lower than that for the other bombers.
    In Operation 21 (Munich) the USAAF participated on an experimental basis by sending 2 B-17s, both of which returned safely.

The Facebook report stated that “This was a bad night for the Squadron” but as “twenty Lancasters were lost from the force of 147 (13.6%)” it was a very bad night for the Avros.

Aubrey

Thanks

Apologies for the jumbled appearance of the DESPATCHED and LOST table

My spacing between the two sets of stats unfortunately disappeared in the printing process!!

Aubrey