Thread: 5 June 1944 - Daylight operations over northern France

Thanks

Default 5 June 1944 - Daylight operations over northern France

I'm trying to determine if there were any Allied air operations over northern France during the daylight hours of 5 June 1944. My interest is really in either RAF Fighter Command or USAAF 8th Air Force bombers and, if there were operations, were any interceptions by German fighters reported. Can anyone help, please?

My reason for asking is that I've a number of unsubstantiated statements that bad weather or strong winds kept the Luftwaffe on the ground during the 5th; but my reading of intercepted weather reports suggests the weather was fine, with good visibility and broken cloud (base at least 2500 ft) accompanied by south-west surface winds of between 20 and 25 knots.

I hasten to add this was behind the cold front that would have inhibited the planned assault at 0630 that morning.

Brian

Thanks

The 11 Group ORB states:
    "Weather: Fair, cloudy with occasional showers, gusty winds, viability good.
    There was no enemy action during the day phase."

This is also confirmed in the appendices to the ORB.

HTH
    Andy

Thanks

Thank you, Andy; would I be correct in understanding this refers to patrols mounted over France?

Perhaps I should have asked if anyone has a copy of The Fighter Command War Diaries: July 1943 to June 1944 ?

Brian

Thanks

Hello Brian,

I have this book.

Page 321, it is noted [I]"4th June 1944. Day : No RAF bombing missions were scheduled due to bad Weather. USAAF targets : Pas de Calais, airfields and bridges".[I] Nothing else.

Page 327, it is noted :"5th June 1944. Day : Offensive Operations : with the day of the invasion fast approaching, Typhoons went flat-out to neutralise radar stations at Guernesay and Cap de la Hague. Five were shot down by Flak defences ... Targets : Coastal defences in the Pas de Calais and at Cherbourg ... "

Have a good day

Pierre

Thanks

Thank you Pierre, and Mark off-board, both your replies are very helpful. I'll try the LEMB forum to see if the Luftwaffe responded to the RAF/USAAF intrusions.

Regards

Brian

Thanks

Hello Brian,
    I would try these files at Kew:

AIR 37/378
    AIR 22/435
    AIR 20/7892
    AIR 37/59
    AIR 24/88
    AIR 40/1092
    AIR 22/541
    AIR 22/313

There will be some duplication within these. There are others in the WO and HW series if the Luftwaffe side is not covered by these.
    Let me know if I can help further,

Regards,
    Bruce

Let me know if I
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Yes the 11 Group ORB refers to Ops over France.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyffe View Post
    Thank you, Andy; would I be correct in understanding this refers to patrols mounted over France?

Perhaps I should have asked if anyone has a copy of The Fighter Command War Diaries: July 1943 to June 1944 ?

Brian

Thanks

In closing this thread I have to thank Andy for copying the 11 Group ORB for me. It contains a lot of additional information from which it is clear my original assessment of the weather at airfields near the Channel coast was not far out. Consequently I'm content that Luftwaffe inactivity was due to other reasons.

Brian